Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

* homeless and familyless young adult returning to canada *

by tomoyoafter / January 12, 2010 1:11 AM PST

thanks for taking your time in reading this inquiry, i really appreciate it.

my family was through with me years ago, i'm 21 years old and have been living on my own for 3 years now. previously i've lived in canada as a full citizen for years until when i was at about grade 9, that's when my single parent decided to move back to his country of origin.

after completing high school, my single parent decides that his obligation to me is done and through, and demands that i leave so his life can continue as it should.

life in my native country is harsh, with what i would consider as slavery work of 15 hours as factory worker having to do occasional salvaging of scrape metal and recyclable material earning no more than 5 USD an hour, barely making ends meet. i'm contemplating on returning to canada, i'm willing to take any job, be it farming or janitorial duties or even no job so long as i get in return sufficient food to stomach and a roof over my head. i see no difference as the factory where i work in has horrid working conditions (40degrees no air-conditioning)and i'm also tasked with literally picking scrape metals and cardboard all around dragging it on a cart to the local refinery, i clean urinals as well.

i am still in possession of my citizen id and passport and i am a full fledged canadian citizen since 8yr old with a clean record

in the passing years the thought of returning to canada was the only thing that kept me straggling on admist the wrecked morality and norms that is the society of my country, i've been desperate enough to take on part time jobs i regret having to, and i'm still desperate and i'm willing to do anything to go back not only because my country is a filthy mess but also i really don't think i can hold out on my own much longer with the job market worsening and the landlord increasing the rent by nearly 2 folds ,unless i resort to more illegal profession i don't think i can survive in this society. so what i'd like to know is, what are my options?

my most sincerest gratitude to you all, i am in your debt.
thanks so much for the unconditional help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: * homeless and familyless young adult returning to canada *
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: * homeless and familyless young adult returning to canada *
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Federal minimum wage for each state
by Angeline Booher / January 12, 2010 3:14 AM PST

You can find them at

http://www.laborlawcenter.com/t-State-Minimum-Wage-Rates.aspx?gclid=CLb056nDn58CFQ-bnAodq23UAQ

I did not see in your post how you prepared yourself for the adult world except for high school. There are opportunities here for advanced education and job training through the states. With all of the job losses even those with families have been forced to work at least 2 jobs. Some of them take advantage of job training at the same time. Some have found part-time jobs that have led to full time. It is not easy, and those who bear up do not have a defeatist attitude.

No one here can really advise you. There are agencies in most cities that can. If you think the opportunities will be better for you in Canada, then that could be your best move.

Good luck.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
In addition
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 4:08 AM PST

the link below shows the Minimum Wage listings by Province for Canada;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_in_Canada

It lists minimum wages for adults, but I don't know what age Canada considers an adult for this law. I suspect at 21 years old you would be considered an adult.

Your post lacks details, native country, what level of education you have reached, and so on, but that is your own business.

However your figures do surprise me a little. Given a 15 hour working day is high, many of us even in the US, Canada, and where I am in the UK have worked such long hours in the past. At 5 USD an hour, (or whatever the currency is in the country where you are), that is 75 USD a day, or 525 USD a week, (7 day week). That is a healthy wage in any country.

With that sort of wage, it surely would not take you long to save up and move on to better things.

As you are a Canadian citizen and you have internet access, I feel your best bet is to search the web for Canadian employment opportunities and apply for posts.

I note you say Canadian citizen and not a Canadian national. I do not know the difference between the two, and if there is a difference, whether that changes anything. You may want to check on that at your nearest Canadian Embassy or similar where you currently live.

Mark

Collapse -
makes me wonder
by oldie and goody / January 12, 2010 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: In addition

with the wages he gets how he is going to pay for a ticket to Canada.

Collapse -
Don't know what to make of it
by Steven Haninger / January 12, 2010 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: makes me wonder
Collapse -
tomoyoafter. Post deleted at your request.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 1:37 AM PST

I see you have reposted this information, so thanks for that, and I have deleted the one you made here as requested.

Mark

Collapse -
Perhaps he lives on the US/ Canada border
by JP Bill / January 12, 2010 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: makes me wonder

and only needs chump change.

Collapse -
didn't read his post very well
by oldie and goody / January 12, 2010 9:20 AM PST

did you not see how he earns a living and what he gets paid? Sounds like he is in a third world country. IF anything he said is true.

Collapse -
Sounds like he is in a third world country.
by JP Bill / January 12, 2010 10:55 AM PST

He finished high school " in a third world country"?

Collapse -
you don't think they have schools ?
by oldie and goody / January 12, 2010 11:19 AM PST

What about the young inventor?? Didn't he go to college?

Collapse -
finished high school in a third world country
by JP Bill / January 12, 2010 11:26 AM PST

and the best he can do is picking scrap metal and cleaning urinals?

Overqualified?

If he went to college he would be sweeping streets?

Collapse -
he made another post
by oldie and goody / January 12, 2010 11:44 AM PST

go read it, he is from China!

Collapse -
and he has $1300 USD and a computer
by JP Bill / January 13, 2010 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: he made another post

making $5/hour.

"Go read it"?

I responded to it, even before you told me to "Go read it".

Collapse -
I'll correct myself before you do
by JP Bill / January 13, 2010 3:01 AM PST

You told me to go read it, before I read it.

That wasn't TOO painful.

I did read his post before I read yours though, try not to be offended.

Collapse -
RE: he is from China!
by JP Bill / January 13, 2010 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: he made another post

He's from Canada...presently living in China?

Collapse -
There was a similar request for advice
by Angeline Booher / January 12, 2010 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: In addition

...... a few years ago here in SE.

The poster was also a young person who was on his own after parents would no longer support him.

I forget how, but it also involved Canada.

The difference was that there was something about how his parents made a living while living a rather nomadic life. As I recall, he wasn't sure where they were.

The post received a lot of attention, but the poster never returned.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I think you're right
by Steven Haninger / January 12, 2010 8:44 AM PST

If I recall, this person was tired of having to make new friends all the time and wanted to put down some roots. It was as if his parents or guardians were trying to keep one step ahead of being found out. These are the types of posts that can be disturbing in that it's not possible to know if their coming from someones real pain or were just their need for a creative outlet.

Collapse -
That is why I prefer to err on the side of caution
by Angeline Booher / January 12, 2010 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: I think you're right

There are slews of similar stories out there for real, and, sadly, those that are much worse.

So I am not so jaded that I dismiss those here out-of-hand, though I suspect there are those who think I am being made a fool. But unless posts such as this ask for money or requesting information that cold be used for a term paper, etc., it goes in the "perhaps" file in order to preserve whatever dignity is merited.

If nothing else these serve as reminders of the suffering in our own communities, and that a brighter future might be had for those offered a helping hand.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT) Go for it!
by JP Bill / January 12, 2010 6:48 AM PST
Collapse -
i am not
by tomoyoafter / January 12, 2010 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: Go for it!

i have no intention to deceive anyone. i posted at forum elsewhere and receive no reply and gave up and came to cnet forum. i reword the post as i though some of the things in there that isn't necessary to be told and was too long therefore ppl might not want to read it. i don't understand why i'm being related to this one other person here, but the similarities mentioned, it's normal as i've ran into my fair share of teens in china returning from AUS, USA, CAN as their families loses their jobs and unable to pay for their mortgages and whatnot in said countries.

yes i considered joining the forces but i recently received a reply from them stating my academic background does not suffice their requirement, which is a grade 10.

now about my academic background, i did finish high school here in china, failing my own native language and scoring well in english, the forces don't recognize any high school diploma elsewhere other than a university associate degree or a GED. neither of which i could have as i simply am not earning enough to pay for the one year tuition 7000usd university tuition here. so i gave up on that thought and i realize canada is somewhat an agriculture country and wanted to know if i can atleast be given a roof over my head and decent food in exchange for farm work or jobs other ppl wouldn't want to do. my job here as a factory is just lifting, unloading cargo and carrying stuff around, the manager would occasionally task me with recycling duties dragging useless metal in the streets to the recycling plant but since china is a polluted and extremely humid and dirty city i considered any job in canada to be equal, if not better than this and deducted that i should go back if i'm going to live like this anyways, since i've been told by the plant manager that he's hiring more ppl and my work performance was below his expectation, the last time i was fired as a sales clerk i was told the same thing so i figured i'll need to use up the rest of my savings if i were to stay in china, think of it as if you only had a plane ticket to go to any country of your choice or to trade it in for another month of rent; for me it's now or never. i could find another job but it would take me eyars to save up for another plane ticket again, i'm not willing to do that.

you've all helped me and i realize now it's only right that i give you folks the whole story of my family.

yes my mother doesn't want to take responsibility for me after the divorce, she has her own live to live in canada, i have her tel and adress, but i never tried as long distance tel phones are costly here but even back in grade 9 she doesn't care much, afterall she's not my real birth mother. i know who i am to her.

my father doesn't want me because back in china things didn't happen the way it should, he doesn't want to see me he wants to live life as he pleases without me, but back then it was ruled that he would take care of me because we're blood related. he gets drunk, he beats me, but everyone in china is like this. after i turned 18 he's no longer required to take care of me.

those two were never serious even back then, neither of them would even let me finish high school there, i have nobody here i might as well go back.

so what are some of the job opportunities in canada an unskilled worker like me can have? i don't even want pay, as long as i get some food and a roof over my head i'm satisfied.

Collapse -
one more thing
by tomoyoafter / January 12, 2010 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: i am not

oh i also forgot to say that yes i am just a citizen not a national. i don't have my own internet access, it's the cybercafe downstairs in teh flat i'm renting.

Collapse -
what are some of the job opportunities in canada
by JP Bill / January 12, 2010 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: i am not

what are some of the job opportunities in Canada an unskilled worker like me can have?

Job Bank

I live in Canada, and know that many farms hire foreign workers to work on their farms. British Columbia would be a good place to start looking, Since you are in China.

If you want to work for food and shelter, there are agriculture jobs that provide that and even pay wages.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!