Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

homegroup file share

by johndoe77 / August 6, 2011 2:02 AM PDT

Could you give me an example of how this feature can be utilized?

johndoe77 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: homegroup file share
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: homegroup file share
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by johndoe77

Collapse -
Sure.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: homegroup file share

I have 3 computers at home.

Windows 7 on a Desktop
Windows Vista on a laptop
Windows XP on an older Desktop.

Windows 7 is connected by physical cable to a router that is wireless capable, (a 'wireless router').
Windows Vista's laptop has a wireless card already built into the laptop and that connects to the router.
Windows XP has a wireless USB adaptor connected, and that connects to the router.

The router is connected to the cable modem, so all computers have equal internet access.

All of my computers are connected to a Home Network. That means, if any two (or all three), are turned on, I can access all 'public' folders from all computers on any computer. Public means that the OS doesn't restrict sharing anyway, and that those folders are shared.

It works well for me apart from the usual head-banging to get it all set up.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
usefullness
by johndoe77 / August 7, 2011 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

I appreciate your reply. I have the newer networking whereby you need two Win 7 o.s.'s -once the homegrooup is created with a common password you can file share. I agree with the setting up as I have to initially connect my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable. Once connected I can then remove the cable and share files wirelssly in my home network.
My question was,"What purpose does this serve?
In other words, can you give me a concrete example of how file sharing can be of use. It seems as though you can amend a file on one pc while typing on the other pc. I don't see the concept they had in mind when they created this file sharing by whatever means.
Thank you,
Peter

Collapse -
In my case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 7, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: usefullness

I have to admit that in my case it was a matter of, "Can I do it?".

Sine then I don't use home networking that much, but it is still useful to me. For example, my Win 7 is the only one I use to manage emails, but my XP machine is the only one that has Office installed. I sometimes need to send a document or a spreadsheet to other people, so I create those on the XP system, copy the files across to the Win 7 system, then email them.

I also use the hard disks on other machines as backups of data I want to secure so I have more than one backup safely stored.

Other people will have different uses. For instance, using one computer simply as a storage device is a common occurrence. Another example, sharing photos, music and videos between family members' computers.

I'm sure there are 1001 uses. I haven't found them all yet! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Networking whether in a home or a business ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 7, 2011 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: usefullness

allows the sharing of files (as long as the application that uses the specific type of file is loaded on both machines), control of the other computer without leaving your own, backing up the valuable data from computer A to computer B and vice versa (keeps you from losing the file if one computer has a catastrophic failure and you haven't made backups on other media such as CD or DVD), allows you to play multi player games, allows you to download an application or utility on one computer and install it on the other without downloading twice or having to copy the file to removable media, etc. ...

Your ability to use networking is limited only by your imagination and the capabilities of applications (the same data file usually can't be in use by both computers at the same time as it is normally locked by the first computer to access it so changes are not lost).

Collapse -
files
by johndoe77 / August 7, 2011 11:37 PM PDT

I have to admit that in my case it was a matter of, "Can I do it?".

>This is why I wrote b/c I felt the same way.
Most of the things I want to do I can do w/o filesharing.
Reading the following post did, however, enlighten me to the possibilities which I may explore. Thank you all for the help.
Peter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?