HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Theatre with Projector

by docwavers / December 17, 2004 4:42 AM PST

I'm moving home soon and was thinking of updating the entertainment system. WE already have a Sony Dream System and would like to keep that if possible.
I was thinking Plasma/LCD however, doing some research, would a Projector be just as good. Has anyone had any experience with this type of system.

ie.
Projector position, running cables(Max Length) type of projector and if the output is much better/worse than either of the other.

At the end of the day I would like a big screen, but the cost of the larger screens is kind of prohibitive and so thought the projector would be a better bet and get a bigger viewing area at the same time.

Any advice is very much appreciated.
Cheers
DocWavers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Theatre with Projector
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Theatre with Projector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
projector
by bent / December 22, 2004 4:07 AM PST

I'm using an older Epson 50c LCD projector with a fairly reflective Dalite screen. Projector has a fairly low distance adjustment so must be roughly 12' from the screen. I have it mounted on the ceiling and inverted.

This set-up has served me well, but I only use it for movie watching and it has drawbacks (a degree of pixellation, a tough time dealing with dimly-lit scenes, noisy fan). On the bright side, it gives the illusion of being in a theatre. Because of the restrictions presented by my room, I sit about 1l' from the screen and size is roughly 70" diagonal.

I would not replace a TV with this system. It's not as user friendly, you have to wait for the bulb to cool, bulbs are expensive, you want to have a fairly dark room to begin with. As part of an HT system, it's great though. I'll likely upgrade to a newer DLP unit at some point in the future, but I'm very satisfied for now.

Collapse -
Front projector vs. other display types
by Kirk_TVA / December 23, 2004 5:40 AM PST

I work for a company that retails digital display products like front & rear projection TV's plus flat panel displays. I have a ScreenPlay 4805 front projector with a 92" screen and is great for DVD movies & Sunday football but I'm not sure i'd recommend a front projector for everyday TV viewing. If you have a dedicated room with control of the lighting then it might work fine for you but you'll want to consider the lamp replacement costs & room environment to decide if this really makes sense for you. Have you cosidered a digital rear projection TV? Many options are available up to 61" diagonal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.