TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Theatre Receiver - Which

by RobertBE / September 21, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

I just got a new home wired for 6.1 surround. What receiver should I get that will do Dolby, THX, and ? of all my DVD's?

Is there a good Buyers Guide?

Everyplace I've gone recommends something different.

Robert

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Theatre Receiver - Which
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Theatre Receiver - Which
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Home Theatre Receiver - Which
by FeisalK / September 21, 2004 9:17 PM PDT

thats because there's a lot of products - at alot of different levels. Basically all new HT receivers will do Dolby Digital, DTS (these two for movie soundtracks on DVD), Dolby Pro-Logic II (this for putting stereo sources like regular TV or LD, VHS into your 6.1 speakers). Higher end receivers will add THX processing, but most enthusiasts will tell you its not absolutely necessary.

All in all it depends on your budget, what kind of sound you prefer and what speakers you've bought.

Auditioning is part of the gun of HT - so go out and listen Happy

Collapse -
by WLEI / September 22, 2004 3:27 AM PDT

I have a Denon 80 Watts receiver and I like it so much. All Home Theatre receiver will not be a good one for CD music. If you have good ears you will know what I mean unless you go for thousands dollar range receiver. I have 14' x 25' room, and the DENON receiver has enough power to rock the whole room. Make sure you have a reasonable prices speakers (specially the center speaker, spend a bid more money on this, because you need a good center speaker for all the dialogues). A 150 Watts sub-woofer should do the trick. Wlei

Collapse -
by bent / September 22, 2004 5:03 AM PDT

I think the best bang-for-the-buck receivers are Yamahas. I've owned the RX-V595a and the RX-V995 (both 5.1) and they had plenty of power and sounded good for both music and movies.

My current receiver is a Denon 3802. While it sounds marginally better for music, it doesn't have quite the excitement for movies that the Yamaha had. And though it is rated the same (100wpc) it doesn't drive my mains nearly as well as the previous one, to the point where I decided to use an outboard power amp.

Since you didn't mention a budget, my suggestions for you to audition are the Yamaha 1400 and the Denon 3805 (I've read good things but haven't heard it). You may want to look into receivers that have the i-link capability (Pioneer for example) if you plan to use multi-channel music sources (SACD/DVDA) and wish to avoid piles of cables.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by kevlap / October 1, 2004 3:43 PM PDT

I own a Yamaha R-V1103 natural sound reciever and I love it!! It is 5.1, but has an extra output for a center rear speaker. Sounds as good as my old Bose system. Also, the JBL center & surrounds help out too!

Collapse -
by SRenn / October 14, 2004 5:02 PM PDT

I have worked with virtually every receiver out there and I personally own a Marantz preamp/processor with Nakamichin amps. This sound much better than my older Parasound separates. For receivers, I like Denon and Marantz over Yamaha, Pioneer, B&K, Rotel, etc. The best sounding receivers that I have done in a home theater set up are the Denons. Since you are set up for 6.1, you should make sure you get a nice tight powered sub. Don't skimp out on your speakers. You can put the best electronics into a system. But if you put cheap speakers between the amp and your ears, what do you think you are going to hear.

Collapse -
by RobertBE / October 15, 2004 1:44 AM PDT

Thank you for the response. It makes sense.

Robert

Collapse -
by mulkick / October 15, 2004 9:19 AM PDT

Whenever I'm looking for new electronics the first place I go is CNET.com reviews. They have not let me down. They might not know it all but it's a good place to start. I just replaced a Carver pro logic amp with the Denon AVR-2805 And it sounds great so far. I only have a sub and 2 front speakers now, so I too am shopping. Good luck.

Collapse -
by phrodo / October 21, 2004 9:20 PM PDT

If you haven't got one yet I would most definitely look at Integra Research, Onkyo's top shelf equipment.
Mike

Collapse -
by rockhurst / October 25, 2004 12:08 PM PDT

First, since you wired your house for 6.1, you don't need to spend the extra on a 7.1 receiver unless you feel you'd be upgrading in the future. Secondly, unless you have a large (and I do mean large) room you don't need to go with a THX receiver. Just about anything will do dolby and all your DVDs. You can get a receiver like the Pioneer 914K that will support just about any format and it comes with auto setup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.