TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Theater Receiver?

by bigfoot1970 / December 18, 2003 7:07 PM PST

I am fairly new to the home theater experience and just purchased a Sony 51" KP51WS510 HDTV and have also purchased a Sony DVPNS425P Progressive scan DVD player. I have digital cable as well as the HDTV feed and everything is hooked up with the Composite cables. Why would I want to run a video source through the receiver? Is there an advantage to this as opposed to just running the audio into the receiver? I guess I am confused why the video goes through an audio source and then to the Television and not running the video directly to the TV like it is now? If you could explain this I would appreciate it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Theater Receiver?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Theater Receiver?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Home Theater Receiver?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2003 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Home Theater Receiver?

These is an area where there are many solutions. YOU get to pick what works for you.

In short, running A/V to some central component may be so that you can control/select all A/V with one remote. Or that you can use some recorder to record something while watching another channel.

I usually find it useful to sketch out the wiring on paper so I can visualize what can be done.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Home Theater Receiver?
by bigfoot1970 / December 18, 2003 8:41 PM PST

Wow thanks for the quick response! So basically there is no advantage to quality and you don't have to run it through the receiver?

Collapse -
Always a choice...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2003 10:04 PM PST

"So basically there is no advantage to quality and you don't have to run it through the receiver?"

For "analog" signals, it's always best to have less components from the wall to the final destination. My thought was that some may not like having so many remotes or having to set to TV to "Source A" or "Line 1", then press Play on the DVD player. Then having to change the TV back to "Antenna" to watch the other channels.

Some will not mind. Some will not notice any difference...

Bob

Collapse -
Upconversion?
by AztecDevil / October 12, 2006 11:43 AM PDT

Aren't there receivers that can upconvert analog signals to, for example, a 480p resolution? In other words, can some receivers actually improve picture quality with an HD monitor? If so it may be beneficial to run the video through the receiver, no?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thought We Had Put The Bigfoot Thing To Rest!
by RoadRunner6 / October 12, 2006 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Upconversion?
Collapse -
HOGWASH
by stewart norrie / October 13, 2006 8:54 AM PDT

Why spend all that extrra on a amp that does h.d.m.i. switching? The reason I prefer to run all the vidio to t.v. and audio to Amp is because you can fine tune each input on the t.v. and as far as off sync audio goes I have never seen this problem steweee

Collapse -
I didn't see the date of the post
by AztecDevil / October 13, 2006 11:07 AM PDT

I'm stupid. =)

Collapse -
Help with Audio Video set up?
by racerx667 / October 12, 2006 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Home Theater Receiver?

I recently bought an Onkyo reciever the TXSR-674 and was wondering if I should run everything (HR20,Sony DVD upscale,X-box360) through the Onkyo or straight to the TV? I have the Sony KDL 46xbr2. Will I loose any picture quality by going through the reciver?

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
running audio and video through the receiver
by hyghwayman / October 13, 2006 6:20 AM PDT

Hi all,

Here is what i have found on this issue.
Running both a/v through the receiver matches the sound to the picture, so when watching a movie it doesn't look like a old kung-fu film, where you hear the words the the lips move.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
How do you like your new receiver?
by AztecDevil / October 13, 2006 11:08 AM PDT

I'm seriously considering buying the same one. TIA

Collapse -
Onkyo
by racerx667 / October 13, 2006 3:37 PM PDT

To be honest, I have not had a chance to hook it up yet, I am waiting on the tv to come in. Can't wait.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.