TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Theater Question

by pboeye / October 16, 2004 5:52 AM PDT

I'm in the process of finishing my basement, which includes an area for a home theater.

As a result, I had an A/V guy come out and give me a proposal, which included an Optoma RD50 HDTV, and a sound system composed of a receiver and 6 different speakers (e.g. 2 bookshelf, 2 ceiling, 1 center channel, & 1 subwoofer)!

Not only are the speakers expensive, but they're kind of big as well. Do I really need all of that? Especially if I plan on using the theater to watch mostly news and sports? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Theater Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Theater Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Home Theater Question
by Art / October 16, 2004 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Home Theater Question

My answer would be no; but did you ask the A/V guy about that?

Collapse -
by pboeye / October 17, 2004 4:52 AM PDT

I appreciate the response. He said no as well and recommended an enhanced stereo option that included a Harman Kardon HK3380 receiver and Klipsch RB15 bookshelf speakers, but didn't know if this made sense, especially if I'd like to pursue surround sound at a later date.

For that matter, I wonder if the TV could just handle my sound needs? Thanks.

Collapse -
by Art / October 17, 2004 4:03 PM PDT

Then just go with what you have now and add on later. However I will say this about speakers..they should/will last forever!

Collapse -
by SRenn / October 17, 2004 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Home Theater Question

I have to say if you are calling it a theater, YES, you need to do a 5.1 or 6.1, or 7.1 type of surround system. My recommendation to you is to have it all prewired only and get the wires where they need to be. Have your AV professional only do a TV and pair of bookshelf speakers for now. Don't forget a receiver. Keep in mind, you may not have planned on using your system for more than news and sports because you have never experienced your own home theater?? If you do go with a temporary system, plan on spending at least $300-$600 for the bookshelf speakers and make sure you shop around and listen @ reputable specialty AV shops. Check out www.CEDIA.org. They may be able to point you to a member shop. CEDIA is "Custome Electronics Design and Installation Association". I am a member and we are all over the world. I am a CEDIA Certified Professional Designer and have 10+ years experience in the industry. You can probably get away with a good $250-$300 2 channel receiver to hold you off until you decide to use the wires that you will already have future proofed for.

Collapse -
by pboeye / October 17, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

I appreciate the response and like your plan for the future approach. In the meantime, he has recommended an enhanced stereo option that includes a Harman Kardon HK3380 receiver and Klipsch RB15 bookshelf speakers, but I don't know if this makes sense either. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?