Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Home security system with web interface

by OHMCD / August 13, 2007 7:55 PM PDT

I am interested in getting a home security system for my apartment. I found one that has a component, "web-interface," that can be used for viewing surveilance images on the internet. I currently have a DSL WiFi. Can anybody tell me if this component is the same or similar to the hardware used in DSL WiFi systems? Can the DSL WiFi system be used instead of purchasing this component (which costs over $300 extra)?

"Web-Enabled Securelinc Family Kit"
http://www.smarthome.com/73903W.html?src=HML07RB14
The above may function as stand-alone or with the "PowerLink Web Interface Controller"
http://www.smarthome.com/73900pl.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home security system with web interface
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home security system with web interface
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the PowerLink Web Interface a router, a processor,...?
by OHMCD / August 17, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

Can anybody here, besides Robert Profitt, please comment on this issue? Can somebody tell me what this product is, exactly: "PowerLink Web Interface Controller" http://www.smarthome.com/73900pl.html. I would like to know if this product is a router, a computer processor with its own software, ...? Are there alternative products for the purpose it has - to interface with a home security system to monitor online?

This question is definitly on the subject of wireless, as is part of a home wifi system. This component of the system interfaces with the main system to connect to the internet. I have contacted both the distributer and the manufacturer to ask them about the product, getting vague information on this product. At near one thousand dollars for the system, I should know at least some basics info.

Don

Collapse -
It is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2007 6:45 AM PDT

A small "server" with some CPU, ram, embedded os+application PLUS a 4 port video digitizer. They run a few hundred bucks and I've yet to see one include a router function.

Hope this helps.

Bob

PS. Yes, I was on a design team for a very similar product. It was a DVR for CCTV with internet access.

Collapse -
Re Wireless Internet: Home security system w/ web interface
by OHMCD / August 18, 2007 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: It is...

I don't know how this happened, but my reply to the original thread, "Wireless Internet: Home security system with web interface" started up a new thread. It is a duplicate of message number 8 of that thread.

Anyway, it looks like I am in some sort of bubble, on this forum, as you are the only person whom replies. That is in part that the comments you make may deter others from replying.

So, at least I am getting something like the information I was seeking. All I wanted to know was what this product is. You finally answered saying it is a "server" with minimal processer,... Considering I could get a low-end PC somewhere at what I may spend on this unit (or high-end for the whole system), it may be too much. The alternatives to this may be getting a do-it yourself kit somewhere. But if there were such kits, it would still require some electronics knowledge (it wouldn't hurt to learn), more hassle on forums for advice, much time, and then I would probably have to buy software.

If there isn't a comparable product ready-made, I'll probably have to go for this one, since I do need to get this system soon. Unfortunatly, the product is probably all sold out by now, as we have been advertising this wi fi system before the thousands of readers on this forum.

Don

Collapse -
You are in one of the low volume forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2007 8:02 AM PDT

Some are widely read such as "Vista", "XP" and then it plummets to low volumes.

Sorry but I debated and left your post for a day to see if others would pop in but your device is something of an offbeat not many would care for device. I will share that a low end PC is not a good answer since the video processing which we did in some FPGA would tax the usual 1GHz PC. The dedicated boxes are better at this.

Also the simpler motion detectors are even better in the long run for most DIY security systems.

I know I may rub you the wrong way but this area is one I'm been on the design teams for various CCTV and more devices.

Bob

Collapse -
Home security systems
by solacebhen / February 4, 2009 1:47 PM PST

For the homeowner this means the risk of being robbed and even worse coming home to interrupt a robbery is ever increasing, putting your home and family at risk. The best way to combat this growing national trend in crime is to do as the business owners are doing and install a security system of your own.But <a href="http://securityco-op.com">Home security systems</a>(http://securityco-op) are also needed.

Collapse -
Buy a real alarm system
by ghettovision / February 5, 2009 2:58 PM PST

Take at look at the website specs on the security system, the alarm is built into the control panel, all the robber has to do is smash it and it stops the alarm. No one is coming running to your house when the alarm sounds, so I would invest in a real alarm system from the big boys.

Collapse -
Survey your home
by marvin-r / July 4, 2009 6:24 PM PDT

Survey your home, office or work site using this network camera server that lets you connect up to 12 network cameras (not included). Capture and access still images and video via your Web browser, view footage on a TV, or send it to your e-mail address, FTP server or a compatible cell phone.

Product Features
From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
Allows you to capture still images and video and access footage via your Web browser (Internet connection required), view footage on a TV (adapter required, not included) or send footage to your e-mail address, FTP server or compatible cell phone
Supports connection of up to 12 network cameras (not included)
10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet interface for fast Web connectivity and footage transfer
Supports ID/password authentication and IPsec encryption for improved security; supports IPv4 (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, TCP, UDP, IP, DHCP, DNS, ARP, ICMP, and POP3 before SMTP) network protocols
Allows capture ofSurvey your home, office or work site using this network camera server that lets you connect up to 12 network cameras (not included). Capture and access still images and video via your Web browser, view footage on a TV, or send it to your e-mail address, FTP server or a compatible cell phone.
http://www.linkedin.com/companies/pinnacle-security

Collapse -
Home Security Systems
by kimaesha / August 11, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

HI. I have a security system at home and in the office. I am not sure about the details of it. I got it for a cheap price. I you like just visit the site where I avail my security system.

http://securityco-op.com/state-AZ.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.