Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

home page history wont disappear

I have some uhhhhhh unwanted website addresses that have attached themselves to my home page address drop down list on an old computer I'd like to give away. I've tried deleting them, deleting the history, cookies, and temporary internet files through the internet options tab. I've run older versions of spybot search and destroy, adaware and registry mechanic, and possibly spyware doctor, and a few eraser programs, and I can't seem to get rid of them. Does anyone know of how I could possibly get rid of them, or of any programs that might do the job on the windows 98 system? I no longer have it connected to the net, but could reconnect it if I had to, to access 'live' sites like panda software or trend housecall. Any help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: home page history wont disappear
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: home page history wont disappear
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's not history.

In reply to: home page history wont disappear

That's another area. While widely discussed look up CCLEANER to clean that off.

Bob

Collapse -
Try this

Install CCLEANER

In the windows tab>check recently typed URLs

There are three versions available,i use the slim version (english only and no yahoo toolbar)

Tom

Collapse -
home page history wont disappear on windows 98

In reply to: Try this

I downloaded CCleaner and ran it, but the addresses are still there.

Collapse -
"Not history" It's command completion.

In reply to: home page history wont disappear on windows 98

"The ?Cleaner? is actually divided into two separate tabs, the first pertaining to Windows and the second to Applications. You have the ability to clear out the cookies, temp. IE files, recently typed URL?s and even get rid of the auto-complete form from your history in your Internet Explorer drop down."

Keep trying.

Collapse -

In reply to: "Not history" It's command completion.

yeah, I've run it with all the default options ticked except the advanced ones. it has both the windows and applications ticked. Once I've run it, no new items come up for possible deletion. the same after I reboot and try again. so the program appears to be working, just not deleting what I want, or not picking it up in the first place. it's the home page address drop down list not the internet browser drop down ie when I go to type in a home page address a list of errrrr, unwanted sites appears in the drop down list. might just have to give it away as is, and let the person know! it's an old p166

Collapse -
Picture please.

I haven't heard the item named as such so now we need a picture.

There are hard coded Bookmarks that can't be cleared but only hidden. But you didn't write Bookmarks.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Picture please.

I have a picture to send bob, but how do I paste it in here? it's the internet options -> general tab, where you can type in a home page address. when I type in an address, a drop down list of sites that would be better off not being there appears.

Collapse -
That's AUTOCOMPLETE. not history.

Collapse -

In reply to: That's AUTOCOMPLETE. not history.

thanks for your help bob.

I did my best on the auto complete link.......however it hasn't fixed the problem.....I'm guessing that is mostly for the autocomplete function for the BROWSER address bar. It isn't erasing the addresses that still come up on the HOME PAGE address bar on the Tools->Internet Options->General Tab. Clicking on these addresses and deleting them, while deleting them when you click delete, does not delete them permanently - ie, as soon as you start to retype a home page address, they reappear in the dropdown list. Would you have a link to the Microsoft Windows 98 Forum? I have tried looking for it on the Microsoft site, and all I can get is articles....not a forum as such (like this one). I also did a search on my computer (using the search function) for text in one of the unwanted addresses, and nothing came up, and I'll have to try and find the registry again to have more of a look there.......I would've thought the search fucntion would already search the registry. Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
A picture isn't going to help us. . .

but that information might help you.

1. Have not had this particular situation but in the system registry there should be one entry for "Start Page":

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page

2. What other strange entries, if any, are in the Main address (right window) that compares to what you see when trying to reset the "Home (Start) Page" in IE and the drop-down appears?

3. If you search the entire system registry for the words Start Page, what come out in the wash that may compare to those being seen in the drop-down?
==or==
What addresses do you find listed in the system registry when you use and search with one of the URLs from the drop-down list?

4. As far as posting a picture, you must first have a Web site where a graphics file can be uploaded. You can then direct anyone to that file by entering the URL of the site where it resides.

Collapse -

My first thought was auto complete.

On second thought.
Did you put these home pages in there?
Did you have some malware in the past that hi-jacked your home page?
If malware... is 'it' still active?

If malware...my sugestion...run a pass of DBAN.
Give the machine away with the needed cd's to put it back together.

Collapse -

Cursorcowboy,

1 and 2

The registry is showing : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

and it seems only one entry for Start Page - http://www./ (it does have a small squareish icon to the left of Start Page that has 'ab' written in brown. There are many other similar icons in the Main list)

When I do a search for Start Page in the Registry it seems http://www.msn.com comes up (along with a lot of other information like default search page, Local Page etc). Strangely msn.com is not in the drop down list that appears in the Home Page address bar.

No entries came up when searching for URL's - I searched for 3 different entries.

I didn?t put these home page addresses there Bob, and can?t remember having my home page hijacked as such (it?s probably been close to 2 years since I?ve used the computer). I have searched with a few malware programs that run on 98 and nothing has come up. If I can?t find a solution to this, I might have to use that DBAN and wipe the whole computer. Might ring the place I want to give it to first and see if they have backup discs as it came loaded with Windows 98 when I bought it.

Thanks.

Collapse -
In my humble opinion from what you have describe . . .

1. a hijacker has taken over something somewhere because that Start Page entry in the registry should be the page rendered when Internet Explorer is initially started. If that is not so then the browser is being redirected somehow by something out of the ordinary.

2. As a minimum, access and check the computer with "Housecall."

3. The brown "ab" entry you see in the registry information for instance; click only once Edit, New and you'll see three "values" for selecting the type of entry recorded in the registry: String (ab), Binary and DWORD (both can have a blue HO w/OH over itself in very tiny print).

NOTE It is also my opinion that if something is listed in the Start Page drowp-down and is a valid entry, it should be recorded in the system registry and not somewhere else being controlled by a hijacker.

Collapse -

In reply to: In my humble opinion from what you have describe . . .

I ended up DBAN'ing my machine..........might look around at a computer market for a copy of 98 to reinstall as I don't know anyone with one......failing that I'll just give it to a computer charity place.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.