Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Home page highjacked and then virus?

by mopscare42 / April 11, 2006 1:25 PM PDT

My grandson was online playing games when he asked me to come look at the computer as the home page had changed and he couldn't change it back. It was highjacked to ''Bestsecurityguide.com'' I went through Google and downloaded a browser highjack recovery program which took care of the problem.
After I ran Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware and restarted the computer, Norton popped up and said it had found the virus, Trojan.zlob and removed it. I have since ran a full system scan and nothing has shown up.
I am a little worried now about what else may be going
on.
I am behind a router with NAT and SPI, plus I have XP firewall enabled so I think whatever happened came from one of the games he was playing.
Any advise on what to look for would be much appreciated.
Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home page highjacked and then virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home page highjacked and then virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by tomron / April 11, 2006 2:14 PM PDT

Install and update SPYWARE BLASTER,which is a preventer,not a scanner,may help somewhat.

You could try EWIDO

Tom

Collapse -
hijack by bestsecurityguide
by Iukini / April 14, 2006 7:16 AM PDT

Hi,
My husband's computer also has been hijacked by bestsecurityguide.com. We don't know how to fix the problem, can you detail how you fix it? Many thanks!

Collapse -
Hijacked
by tomron / April 14, 2006 8:25 AM PDT

Use HJT with caution,can cause problems if not done right.DO NO NOT CLICK ON THE FIX BUTTON

Click HERE

Tom

Collapse -
After things resolved,
by nino88 / April 14, 2006 9:43 PM PDT

listen to Tomron. Download and run Spywareblaster. Update it and activate. The new Window Defender is also a good program to prevent your homepage to get hijacked,

One last thing, lock your homepage by using Spybot.

Before I knew all of these, my system got hijacked once every other week.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't see an option in spybot to lock FF
by tomron / April 14, 2006 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: After things resolved,
Collapse -
Tom, I believe that option is only
by roddy32 / April 14, 2006 11:56 PM PDT

available for IE in Spybot. SpywareBlaster also has that option but only IE with that also.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx,maybe someday they will change this
by tomron / April 15, 2006 1:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hopefully :)
by roddy32 / April 15, 2006 2:19 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!