Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

home page changing

!st of all thanks to all who helped me with the links for spybot et al. I have ran spybot s&d, cw shredder, adaware, and hijak this. Everytime These programs finds parasites. I follow the instructions on removing them and fixing the problems, but my home page won't stay on the page I choose. Whenever I close IE 6.0 and reopen it come up with this page with no real title. It has a windows logo and home search. In the adress bar it says about blank. Either I am doing something wrong or not using the right program. I am using windows xp.
Once again thanks for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: home page changing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: home page changing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you lock the homepage?

In reply to: home page changing

It's a Spybot feature. I'd use it till you find what pests your machine still has.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Did you lock the homepage?

In reply to: Did you lock the homepage?

How do I lock the homepage? Also am I using the correct software to get rid of this pest? Is there a better one?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Did you lock the homepage?

Collapse -

Bob
Can you give me an example of a suite I should look for?
Thanks
Steve

Collapse -

The Anti-Parasite Suite is noted in this forum from time to time. It consists of Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder, Stinger and Housecall. There are more tools mentioned in replies to that discussion.

All the noted tools are free.

Bob

Collapse -

Hey one more thing for now (I hope) I figured out how to lock the homepage, but it still changes back to the parasite one

Collapse -
Is TeaTimer installed?

Its part of the Spybot install and usually alerts you to the change.

Bob

Collapse -
StartPage Gaurd

In reply to: Is TeaTimer installed?

Search Google for Startpage Guard. Works great and is easy to use.

Collapse -
Re: StartPage Gaurd

In reply to: StartPage Gaurd

I found start page guard and so far it works fine.
Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Is TeaTimer installed?

In reply to: Is TeaTimer installed?

tea timer is part of spybot? I am guessing i fnd that in the tool/setting section?

Collapse -
Re: home page changing ,still haveing troubles?try this!!

hey steve!I had the same problems for more than a month!you're not doing anything wrong!these hijackers are evil,evil buggars!heres how I FINALLY got rid of em.I got all the tools you listed,I had about:blank and homesearch hijackers,I run xp as well.youl need to go to avast.com and down load their free antivirus program(AVAST!),I have norton and have updated daily since i got hijacked,but it didnt help.so get avast,also download AboutBlaster,its a homesearch hijacker remover but it worked well for about:blank.I have posted instructions in the XP forum.basically,turn off system restore,back up registry files,just to be safe,set int options to show hidden files,UNPLUG from the internet,reboot to safe mode,run hijackthis scan,run spybot,adaware,AboutBlaster,then finally a full system scan with AVAST!antivirus,slect delete all infected files,I had 243 my first scan,scared me i thought id screw up everything as most infected files were windows files!but do it any way(thats why you do a back up of registery files..just in case)Anyway I deleted all and it didnt hurt a thing.then REBOOT back into safe mode and repeat these steps once more.Reboot to normal mode then plug back in to internet.run hijackthis scan,and you will be free of all troubles related to hijackings.I also downloaded SpywareBlaster,to block any new infections.You will have to tempararily disable your normal antivirus as avast! wonflicts with at least norton,so you can only run one or the other at a time.Good luck,you'll be pleased!Thanks again to the folks at AVAST.com!

Collapse -
Re: home page changing ,still haveing troubles?try this!!

In reply to: Re: home page changing ,still haveing troubles?try this!!

Hey Gomer followed your advice, but when I ran aboutblaster it was missing a file, do you have a good download link for it? You can contact me by email if it is simpler,
steve

Collapse -
You might need to turn off system restore and

I really believe that you should run it on every users account you have.. (you need to make them all as administrator to run spybot or adaware)

Just don't forget to turn system restore on and change the users account level back.

Good Luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.