Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Home Page

by DresserDan / December 24, 2008 1:30 AM PST

I did a system restore and now I canot get my home page to open on either the keyboard or from the IE When I open the Home it goes to AOL The home page keeps going to redirect.I have tryied restting every way I know how but still no home page.I am new to all this so any help would be great.Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Home Page
by ColTom2 / December 25, 2008 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: Home Page

Hi:

It would have helped to know the version of Windows that you have installed and also the version of your Internet Explorer.

Aside from that give this a try. If the following does not resolve your problem then reply back with the versions of XP and IE.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>and on the first item listed on the General Tab is "Home page". If you view the URL listed in the block below it I am sure that it is not the address for your intended Home Page.

To reset your Home Page to what you desire do the following: Close out IE and then reopen IE and manually go to your desired Home Page and then go back up to Tools>Internet Options> and click on Use Current. This should change the URL listed in the block to the Home Page that you want back. Now and most importantly after you click on Use Current and the right URL appears click on APPLY at bottom right and then OK.

Close IE and now reopen it and you should have your desired Home Page back.

Collapse -
Home Page
by ColTom2 / December 25, 2008 9:38 AM PST

Hi:

Just as soon as I posted my reply above I reread your posting and I now feel for sure that you have had your Home Page hijacked by some type spyware or malware.

You did not mention what Anti-Virus program that you are using, but you need to get the latest definition updates and run a complete scan with it. If for some reason you do not have an AV program installed I recommend AVG 8.0 Free http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html.

In addition, hopefully you also have some type spyware/malware programs also installed. You can only have one Anti-Virus program installed, but you can have as many spyware/malware programs that you wish. In fact, the more the better.

I recommend the following spyware/malware programs as a minimum:

1. If you have a version of XP installed then you are entitled to download and install Windows Defender for free: Here is the website http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&displaylang=en

2. Ad-Aware 2008 Free from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&displaylang=en

3.Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free from http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

You need to download and install the above if you do not have installed. After installations check for updates until all have the most current update and then run complete scans.

Hopefully the above will find the "hijacker" installed and you can remove it. Afterwards you can use my original posting above to reset your Home Page.

If this resolves your issue then you should remove all prior System Restore Points, because they will have contained the "hijacker", and establish a NEW System Restore Point.

Collapse -
You're Using AOL?? They Want To Be
by tobeach / December 25, 2008 2:35 PM PST

your Home Page so they can hit you with their advertising & tracking cookies etc.

In my 1st month computing on my 1st computer (Win98), I made the mistake of putting a "free" AOL disk. Ended up reformatting the HD to get rid of it since it slowed the machine to almost unusable.

Your choice of course! Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Home page
by DresserDan / December 25, 2008 11:57 PM PST

Ok Thanks A bunch I was running a old out dated norton.On XP with IE 7 I am new to all this I did the restore but I never had a new restore.So not knowing this really made things worse.I loaded AVG and I already have Adaware and defender and yahoo spuware.I ran the adaware and AVG found something in it or attached to it.Anyway I got rid of it and redone the home page thing and it works.Thanks for all the great help.You really saved me

Collapse -
Home Page
by ColTom2 / December 26, 2008 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: Home page

Hi:

Glad that everything worked out for you and you now have your Home Page back.

You mentioned having Norton and I am sure that you uninstalled it prior to installing AVG 8.0, but Norton always leaves a lot of files on ones computer after the uninstall.

I recommend that you now run Norton's Removal Tool if you haven't already done so.
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Also if you do not have CCleaner installed I also recommend that you install it, as it is about the best general utility for cleaning out useless and redundant Windows files. Many users now use it because it is both free and effective.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Tom

Collapse -
Home Page
by ColTom2 / December 26, 2008 4:55 AM PST

Hopefully you turned System Restore "off" to delete all your prior SR Points including the hijacker file and back "on" to create a new SR Point.

If you didn't here are the procedures to do so:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

When turning SR back on I recommend that you take your cursor and set it on 5% on the sliding bar to save HD space.

I normally do the above after defragging and being sure my system is OK about once a month or whenever.

Tom

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!