General discussion

home networks isolation

Dear home network savvy:

I have the current situation:
I have broadband internet connection from my ISP, I have one D-Link Router connected to the WAN of the broadband modem, the LAN ports on the router are used for my PC, iMac, Laptop to access the internet and I have a LinkSys Media Server connected to the Router for file sharing / storage on my home network

My cousin just moved to my house and share the internet connection from the same router, but as a result, she also has access to my other computers, including the LinkSys media server.

Desired outcome:

I still want to give my cousin the internet connection, but don't want her have access to my computers and the LinkSys media server.

Would two routers be a feasible solution? If so, how should I configure the routers?

Thanks every one, your support would be very much appreciated.

Twinsteed.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: home networks isolation
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: home networks isolation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The isolation.

Or rather the isolation you feel when you start learning about networking is something I'll apologize in advance about. Let's get down to it.

Today, without any changes to the network you could make all the file and printer shares require an account. This is natively supported so while they may SEE a network share since they don't have an account they can't get in.

I'd do that first.

The downside is that many don't want to learn about network share permissions and accounts. And if I wrote about it here I would be duplicating many web sites and may make another error but this is all documented but what I often read is that it should be easier.
Bob

- Collapse -
reply to Bob - network isolation

Thanks Bob for your prompt reply.

I have no issue of setting up accounts on my pc, iMac and laptop, but the network media server does not have a function to allow me set up an account. It always appears as a network drive that everyone can access directly from their computer. Hence as far as I can explore, there is no option for me to restrict the access to the media server from a software perspective, so I am seeking if there is a hardware solution to handle this (e.g. another router?). I am not very technically savvy, so your professioal advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Twinsteed.

- Collapse -
Advice.

How about a second router. Connect it to the first router and then to the WAN port router. Now allow ONLY PORT 80 traffic. Bingo. Internet but no access to files. Add other ports to the rules in the second router as you see fit. Sorry if I don't list port numbers as I would be duplicating the web at that point.

Is web access all they need?

And here's another idea. Hard assign all the IP numbers on their machine (forget this idea if they are on wifi!) Then for the NETMASK use 255,255,255,254. This effective tells the machine that it is on a very small network. Sorry if I don't write what netmask does here.
Bob

- Collapse -
repy: bob network isolation

Thanks Bob,

I will give it a try and may bother you again should there be any problms.

Much appreciated.

Twinsteed.

- Collapse -
BTW I goofed that a little.

EVEN the netmask alone on that one machine could blind it to the other machines.

CNET Forums