General discussion

Home network sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

I have 3 machines in one room here. One Dell Win XP, one HP Vista and one Dell Win 2000. Most of the time I can open Network Neighborhood or whatever, and they all show up. No problem with transferring files between them. Sometimes - too often - the other computers just don't show up. I'm connected with a 2Wire gateway.
Any clues about this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Home network sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Home network sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A repeating cause.

Is less than WPA security on the wifi. It happens so often that I've gotten to giving just the short answer without writing the long why.
Bob

- Collapse -
These are all hardwired

If I'm understanding you correctly, that would refer to a wifi connection, right?

- Collapse -
Can't tell.

Given the details so far, only bad guesses are possible.

- Collapse -
Cynicism and sarcasm

Ya know, at this point I gotta say - given your cynicism and sarcasm that I've noticed over the years, it leaves one to wonder what you're doing here.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

That was not that. I work with what members post so I'll try with what you'll tell and if I guess badly I'll admit it.

But I do think you may want to be careful about your replies as if you are rough on those that try to help then you may get no help at all.

-> There are no paid support here so your kindness is all that we get for pay.
Bob

- Collapse -
A thought but nothing I've ever completely understood

Look up something called "master browser election" and read about some of the possible issues with this process to see if any light is shed. You're using 3 operating systems and I wonder if the sequence with which they add themselves to the network is a problem. I saw more of this with Windows 98, however, when turning of one PC would cause the workgroup to disappear. From what I understand, how to determine if this is a master browser issue is to ping the PCs from each other. If the replies are good but no one shows on the network, it's some sort of master browser issue related to their power struggle behind the scenes. Good luck figuring it out.

CNET Forums

Forum Info