Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Home Network Setup with VLAN

Hello all,

I am very much appreciate your time and effort to read my dilemma with my home networking issue.

I wish to create a separate Network with limited (speed) and shared Internet from my exiting Home Network. Some sort of Guest Network. In my case, Guest Wi-Fi Network at Location C with illustration below.

[Illustrated Network Setup]
https://aonlaq.bn1303.livefilestore.com/y2mlqdh9e-7UKi6vJPovbK4WamEnNte8bmHn1OMj06tQ0d0DJjWE3s-qZBSshepm7ovBPPz_UpTCkDnQtYYa7Knj-42hKrKYMOwwx3XC3VOOcg/Router%202.png
Location A, B and C are connected with Cat5E Cable and all situated within well below 100m length.
Yellow Line suggested how Location A and B connect.
Red Line suggest 2 Way to connect, either Directly to Main A or Location B.

Location A sited the Main Modem+Router which it connected to phone line.
Location B hosted the second AP Wifi Router, which it was routed through a Gigabit Switch.
Location C is the new Location, in question or dilemma on how to connect effectively with less-cost for a controlled "Guest" Wi-Fi environment - Firewalled Network (VLAN) and Limited Speed.

I consider myself new to this Network Concept, LAN within LAN.
If I am not wrong, in my case, it is known as VLAN. Creating a Virtual LAN inside the main LAN, to ensure limited access and to protect Main LAN from external forces.

Topic: VLAN and Limited Speed at Location C

Before I go through my solution, I had both search at Lowyat and googled for a cost-effective solution.
Some articles/forums adviced for Managed Switch or Related Hardware, Software Solution for a PC-Always-On. Also, I stumbled across this (below) Lowyat Forum Article and lucky, I did.

[quote]Topic: Bandwidth limiting, Which router to get? (Router Configuration)
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3079838
-> Mostly discussed with QoS feature of a Router, found in TP-Link and Asus Router.[/quote]

Solution B (indicate at the Illustration)
Replaced the Red-Circled Giga Switch (Location B) with Asus Router, with VLAN Capability and Bandwidth Control.
At the same time, remove the WIFI G-Router.
Question:
1/ My existing G-Router disable DHCP Server. Devices connected through G-Router, its IP Address are allocated by Main Router at Location A. Shall with new Router Replacement and with VLAN (for Location C), would there be any implication? I want Location B as free as Location A, no limit or VLan. Only at Location C.
2/ My budget for the new Router is around RM300.

Solution A

The Main Router at Location A has no IP-QoS or similar to allow Bandwidth Control, also its VLan is somewhat useless.

What you all think?

Personally, I felt Solution B is logical and also, Location B is nearer to C as it is located in the middle of A and C.
Nevertheless, I was worried about the complication and I wouldn't want to waste my Ringgit - at the end it did not work.

Please share your opinion. Thanks you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Network Setup with VLAN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Network Setup with VLAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) I think I'd get a router with the Guest network feature.

In reply to: Home Network Setup with VLAN

Collapse -
Guest-feature Router at Location C?

In reply to: I think I'd get a router with the Guest network feature.

Thanks for your reply.
Interesting. I never of though that before.

You mean getting a Guest-feature router and installed it at Location C?
If yes, could the Guest-feature become the default-system?

Collapse -
Not what I'd setup.

In reply to: Guest-feature Router at Location C?

I'd get a router with the guest feature. This is a new feature you see in the past few years. If you wanted to create your own system, then you would use most of your networking skills you picked up from classes, books and the internet.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. WAP guest setups.

In reply to: Not what I'd setup.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wap+guest+lan shows this has a lot of web content about that.

I would be guessing that you want me to design and support your custom setup. Whoever sets this up should understand what they did as well as maintain it. I encounter folk that have such setup and they unknowingly signed up for lifetime support. That is, since only their installer knew how to maintain and change it, every small change ran up a support bill.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.