HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Home network setup, just a few questions

by captain_mcfunk / May 22, 2014 7:25 AM PDT

Hey there. I'm a relatively knowledgeable techie that is attempting to set up a hardware/wireless network for my parents large house. The products in the environment are as follows:

Modem: Arris DG860

Router: Asus RT-AC66R

Switch: TP-Link TL-SG1024

8x Access Points: Edimax EW-7228APn

It's currently set up like this:

Modem > Router
Modem > Switch > 8x Access Points throughout the house

I know this is incorrect, and the switch needs to go after the router, just learned that today so that everything can talk.....anyways, my questions are:

When I set up the Access Points to disable DHCP, and I give them all the same SSID & WPA key, will mobile devices automatically roam between the AP for a strong signal?

They're currently set up on 2.4GHz band, all on Channel 11. Should I set them all up for 5GHz band if all that's connecting wirelessly to them is ipads, iphones, android devices? Everything else will be hardwired into the access points in each room.

Do they all need to be the same channel or different to prevent overlapping?

I'll have more questions after the above is answered, but just want to get the basics set up first. The network "works" right now, but I get a message on my Note 3 that my connection is "unstable" all the time - I think this has to do with AP's overlapping (my parents REALLLLY don't want any deadspots in their house) - Am I accurate in this thought?

Please let me know if you need any more information to help out. I'll gladly provide it.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home network setup, just a few questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home network setup, just a few questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pretty odd setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 7:57 AM PDT

Access Points generally don't have DHCP on by default so I'm left to guess why it was on. In fact I turned to page 61 and read "By default DHCP is disabled."

Setting them all on channel 11 tells me they are about 200 feet or 60 meters apart to avoid interference. With 8 access points in a 2 by 4 grid you have about some coverage of 400 x 800 feet so that must be one huge castle?

There's another issue and unless you put them on 802.11g there is no way to keep from overlap as 802.11n 40MHz OFDM has one non-overlapping channel.

As presented, I think it would be very unstable but I can't tell much more about the layout of the castle.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks!
by captain_mcfunk / May 22, 2014 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Pretty odd setup.

I'm sorry, i might have mispresented the situation - I didn't know if DHCP was on or not, I haven't checked it yet, so i'll assume that it's not on right now.

In regards to them all being on Channel 11, that was what i was looking for - I read they could be on 1, 6, and 11 to not overlap? I think 8 is overkill, my dad basically bought them for each room thinking they'd "give the room wi-fi"....so that's how we ended up with 8. I'm assuming i could get away with quite a few less, but I need to ensure they're set up correctly to ensure it'll work, hence why i'm here. Based off of the models I posted, should I be able to put the APs on 802.11g? If so, could I then throw them on channels 1, 6, and 11 to prevent overlapping as much as possible? Looking for any help I can get....

Thanks!

Collapse -
I use 1 router with wifi for pretty big homes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks!

Central location and coverage in 3,000 square foot homes, usually 2 story. I can't imagine how huge your castle is but why did I think it's a castle? The only reason I can see for a WAP per room are the stone walls.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by captain_mcfunk / May 22, 2014 10:14 PM PDT

The house is 8,000 square feet and there are numerous walls between the main router and the end of the house. The centrally located main router won't work in the master suite on one side, the office on the other end of the house, upstairs in the bedrooms, the guest house, and the hearth room and outside area. I think those could all have APs because they're so spread out, and I know the Wi-Fi signal is under -70 in most of those areas. Do you have an answer for the channel question? Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) why not hook it up to power boost antenna instead?
by James Denison / May 22, 2014 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
In short
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2014 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
tools
by captain_mcfunk / May 23, 2014 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: In short

Is there any free tools to map out the coverage area of an access point? Could I use something like inssider via laptop and look too see where the signal falls below -80?

Collapse -
RSSI?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2014 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: tools

Sorry but RSSI is a bit extreme in my opinion for a home. I'd try the old draw it on scrap paper method first. That is the basic floor plan and it doesn't have to be pretty. Then using what we learning about 802.11g channels in the last link take some squares with the numbers 1, 6 and 11 and place them around the plan. Frankly, even with 8,000 square feet I wonder why so many access points. That is I think three may be more than enough. Unless the walls are stone.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.