Computer Newbies forum

Question

home network is screwed up-need help!

had a power bump, after that and some daggone MS update, the kitchen comp. lost the "favorites" folder. tried sys restore, when i did the comp lost it's network location, went from the home group to an unavailable network, so, now for some reason i can't get it back to the home network. i'm to dumb to get this where it needs to go, please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: home network is screwed up-need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: home network is screwed up-need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Time to restore from a backup if you have one.

In reply to: home network is screwed up-need help!

If it were me, I'd restore from my full system backup. If for some reason you don't have one, I'd back up any data I didn't want to lose, then restore to factory settings. After that you'll need to reinstall any software that didn't come with the computer.
`
Good luck.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
do power cycle

In reply to: home network is screwed up-need help!

first turn off the kitchen computer and do a power cycle on your modem and router. turn them both off for a 20 count. turn on the modem, wait several minutes, then turn on the router. Turn the computer back on.

also you an try doing a system restore to a saved restore point to just prior to the outage in order to get your favorites back.

just a fyi, there is an addon called xmarks. You can use it to backup your favorites so if you have this problem again, you can recover them.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.