Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Home Network Help

by Sebby2022 / March 13, 2008 8:35 AM PDT

I have a wired desktop w/ XP and a wireless laptop w/ Xp also. Both can connect to the internet just fine, but I can't get them going together on a home network to share files and printers and the like. My desktop can "see" the laptop, but when I try to connect to it it says that I don't have permission, and the laptop can't even connect to the wireless network at all. Can someone please give a step-by-step detailed guide on how to set up a home network, or tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Network Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Network Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
step by step cannot really be done
by Steven Haninger / March 13, 2008 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Home Network Help

There are too many variables. As for not having permission to access another PC on the network, that's fairly simple if you create accounts on both with the same username and password. Another issue is network name and IP addressing. Each PC needs a unique address on a range of addresses that defines a network. You need to see how you have them assigned. If you have a router that can give out dynamic addresses, that works. If not, you have to give each device an address. You also get to deal with firewalls. These can come from Windows or third party security type software that will block data unless you tell it not to for your local network. Another issue is whether you use XP Home or Pro or a mix. Handling of permissions is a bit different on the two versions. Maybe if you gave a bit more information about Windows version, routers, etc. That might help get answers to narrow down the causes of your problem.

Collapse -
Ok, here it is
by Sebby2022 / March 13, 2008 9:16 AM PDT

Well, they are both Media Centers, and my router assigns IPs. It is a WGR614v6. I have both firewalls allowing the IP addresses given out by my router and then some. Also, on the laptop, when I click "View Network computers" under the Network Tasks, I get a error saying the home network isn't available. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Try this. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 14, 2008 11:14 AM PDT

Run the Network Setup Wizard on both PCs. Make sure they are in the same network/network name, and make sure they have different PC names.

Collapse -
That's what I did
by Sebby2022 / March 15, 2008 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this. . .

That is how I did it and that is how I got that problem. Is there any free, reliable 3rd party home network software? I think I'll try that.

Collapse -
Confirm this?
by Sebby2022 / March 15, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

Since I had a wired and a wireless computer, should I set up a home network on the wired one, then set up a wireless network on the laptop? This is what I meant when I said a guide, as in what wizards to run and in what order. Thanks again.

Collapse -
If you can cannot both PCs to wired
by Steven Haninger / March 15, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Confirm this?

ports on the router first, that would be best. Wireless and wired networks have their quirks. Another You'll want to make sure you can ping each PC from the other. No reply means you won't connect. If you can temporarily take down any firewalls, do that. Again, make sure matching usernames and passwords are on both PCs and that a "share" has been created. If no share exits, one PC might see another but an attempt to connect will result in a rejection. I'd never use third party software...free or paid. There's nothing it can do that you can't do yourself. Just make the connection as simple as possible and then add security features as needed. Good luck.

Collapse -
A share?
by Sebby2022 / March 15, 2008 6:16 AM PDT

What do you mean by a "share"? A work group? I have one created and my PC can connect to it and see the laptop, but the laptop can't even connect to the network. I think that it would be easiest to just tell me what steps to take to normally set up a network. Like if I need to run the wireless wizard on both computers or only the wireless one and the regular wizard on the wired or wireless one. I really appreciate all this help.

Collapse -
A share is generally a drive or folder
by Steven Haninger / March 15, 2008 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: A share?

that you have designated to be accessible on the network. Otherwise, even being able to view the presence of another PC doesn't mean you can connect to it. Generally you don't want the entire drive where Windows resides to be shared as it allows opportunities for damage...accidental or intentional...from another PC. A share might be a second drive or a folder where you'd want to put files that could be accessed over the network. You can create a folder for this purpose and share it. To share the folder you simply use Windows Explorer and do a right click on the folder. You'll see options to share or not share the folder. By default it won't be shared and you need to tick the button to do so. You'll get a warning asking if you really want to do such. You may also see options to set permissions. This allows you to select who can and who cannot have access and what they can and cannot do within the folder. If you haven't done this yet, give it a try and view the various options. It's a little different when you share an entire drive. It already has a default share but that's not for public use. A shared drive or folder will appear with the image of a hand underneath with the palm facing upward. I don't have the media center version so I don't know exactly what you'll encounter or what your security options are but designated "shares" are what you'll actually access over the network. Keep pluggin' away at it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?