Storage forum

Question

Home NAS

Whilst i am not new to Computer NAS is one area i have never really used or even considered using.... Way back when i had desktop computers, when i could just slap in another drive and be done with it.

Today though is diffrent, its time to bite the bullet and look into NAS, and i need some help, Performance is a MUST not only will i need to store serious ammounts of data it will be accessed and used constantly, to get me started i have some disks SATA II i can use so a diskless setup would be ideal...

NAS Uses...

Photo Storage (Currently 1.01 TB and growing at the rate of 1.11GB Per Month)

Media Storage (Current: 14TB - + 50GB Per Month

Music Storage (iTunes: About 150GB)

ownCLOUD (1tb used + 2GB Per Month)

Right now most of this is either stored at home or with OVH depending on how often i use it.

This is a large household, theres 2 Adults, 5Kids.

All In thats, 8 Mobile Phones of 8GB or More, 5 Digial Cameras at 8MP or More, 4 Laptops, 2 Tablets, and 3 x 3HP DL385 Servers that serv my current storage needs.

On the basis a dual disk NAS will supply me with 4TB (2x2Tb) that would be the best place to start, at some point im going to have to look for some propper serious alternatives but right now its all about budget.

So what do you all think, i got a maximum of £150, must be 100/1000 Ethernet and offer up somthing in the area of decent performance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home NAS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home NAS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
"50GB Per Month"

In reply to: Home NAS

Your post is unclear to me. If you + 50GB a month then how would a puny 4GB NAS be an option here?

It sounds like you would need a garage or container to house a data center then a second and third data center to hold a year's growth.

Something sounds off here.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For that amount of money, I'd say you're better off waiting

At least as each device dies, you're only losing whats on it. When you NAS device fails, you've lost all of it. Serious amounts of data require serious amounts of redundancy in a backup scheme which is something not mentioned in your plan.

Collapse -
Answer
Home NAS

Hey,

I understand you said you'll be looking into a serious solution later, but right now I'm looking at all of the storage you say you need (like what, about 16 terabytes all together and growing about?) and it really looks like a dual-disk NAS won't really make a dent in your storage needs. I agree with the above poster. That's only 4 terabytes and that's not even considering the risk of losing your data if something goes wrong with the NAS.

And again, I know you said it was all about budget right now, but I would really consider consolidating your data in one centralized place, preferably with RAID and some form of backup so you don't risk losing it.

With all that storage it really sounds to me like you'd need a serious storage device. I'm currently using the CU1200 at home and I've been pretty happy with it. It has 12 hard drives, can configure automated backup and comes with hardware RAID so if anything goes wrong your won't end up losing all of your pictures and everything. If you want to check it out http://www.advatronix.com/store/servers/ Something like that would probably be best.

Collapse -
That's serious stuff.

Let's hope they understand disaster planning with off site backups.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!