TVs & Home Theaters forum

Home Multi-room audio

by jamase413 / October 6, 2014 9:45 AM PDT

Hello all! Very new member here looking for help with a home multi-room audio set up. We have a small house so nothing requiring too much power. We are looking to set up a speaker (or pair) outside and then two speakers indoors (one in the living room and another upstairs in the bedroom.. the only room upstairs).

We would like for them to all play the same music but perhaps not be on at the same time if not needed.

We would like to control them with an iPad and/or Android cell phones.

Wiring within the house/between speakers is not a problem.

What do I actually need for this project? I've consulted with some companies willing to do the installation but I'm getting different advice as to what I really need. We want bare bones with good sound (nothing too fancy).

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Multi-room audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Multi-room audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why don't you...
by Pepe7 / October 6, 2014 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Home Multi-room audio

....flesh out exactly what they recommended (in great detail) so we can critique/provide a different angle on what you may or may not need? There is rarely a 'one size fits all' solution IME.

Collapse -
by jamase413 / October 6, 2014 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Why don't you...

Thanks! One professional laid it out like this:

-Outdoor speakers 100 watt (Pair)
-Indoor speakers 100 watt (Pair)
-2 Sonos Amp
-500ft speaker wire

Another just said "outdoor speakers, indoor speakers, a receiver, and some speaker wire"

A third suggested
-2 Sonos Play:1 speakers
-Sonos amp
-Outdoor speakers

Collapse -
If you are on a budget,....
by Pepe7 / October 7, 2014 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: recommendations

...I would skip Sonos. Very overpriced. Option #2 appeals to me more since it gives you a little more flexibility and requires less $ up front.

Do you really only want a *single* speaker upstairs in each of those rooms(?) I suggest running three separate pairs, one to bedroom, one to living room and one outside. That way you don't miss out on decent sound reproduction with the rogue single speakers. If you can properly separate (e.g. provide adequate space between) the individual speakers of each pair, that's where your sound quality will improve, even w/ a low end system.

Are you also planning on doing home theater/surround sound from the AV receiver(?) Is there also a need to stream music from various iOS/Android devices (or networked computers) in the home? This way we can get the correct receiver for your particular application. Many of the newer AV receivers have free apps to control the whole system.

Collapse -
thank you!
by jamase413 / October 7, 2014 2:08 AM PDT

Yes pairs of speakers definitely make sense. Thank you for that recommendation.

Surround sound is not in the plan. We are not big TV watchers, and the living room is rather small anyway.

We have 2 android cell phones and 1 iPad that would be used. We can drop the iPad accessibility if that drives up cost as my music can really just be accessed on my phone via Google Play (music is not stored on my phone, but rather on the cloud through Google). Suggestions with this information are so appreciated!

I've also noticed that Sonos prices are through the roof, especially for that Connect: Amp which seems to be the only way to get speakers outdoors with Sonos.

Any thoughts on the new gadget Rocki as well? No multi-room sync feature yet, but they say it is coming.

Collapse -
Rocki looks interesting
by Pepe7 / October 7, 2014 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: thank you!

It's basically a cheaper version of what I do with my Apple Airport Express to stream music over a home wifi network. Technically the AEX does more, but the Rocki looks like it can also handle AirPlay, so that could come in handy as an alternative. My only question is that I don't know if the 3.5mm output jack on the Rocki is analog or digital(?) It's digital (utilizing a mini-toslink cable) on the AEX.

In a nutshell, there are now fairly decent apps made available by the major AV receiver manufacturers to control from your mobile devices. That said, Google play might be slightly harder to accommodate since the music is not on the internal flash memory of the device but in the cloud. It would take a little digging to see which of the major receiver manufacturer's apps/rigs can handle that music streaming option. OTOH, I am still a big fan of docking MP3 devices to receivers, so that might be something else you want to consider. Better sound quality this way too. Many of the receivers can utilize external hard drives and USB drives now, so that would be another way to go vs always having to stream via google play. The iPad would actually be an asset since with iOS, you could (probably) use AirPlay to stream from most of the apps to a receiver which was AirPlay enabled. That could provide an 'end run' around the potential requirement of having the music stored on the Android devices. YMMV, since Android is a very fragmented system and varies among devices and OS versions.

Maybe you could tell us a little more about what other audio sources you might consider using besides what you have stored now w/ Google play?

All Answers

Collapse -
Choose Multi-Room Wireless Speaker System
by luceyandrew14 / November 12, 2014 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: Home Multi-room audio

Multi room system will surely serve your purpose. After going through reviews of various brands such as Samsung, Bose, Sonos, Denon finally I thought of choosing HEOS launched by Denon multi room audio systems.

Collapse -
Hmmm. This sounds like you are promoting something
by Pepe7 / November 13, 2014 12:01 AM PST

Mods? Wink

Collapse -
Actually sounds close to what the OP asked for.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 12:48 AM PST

OP -> "We would like for them to all play the same music but perhaps not be on at the same time if not needed.

We would like to control them with an iPad and/or Android cell phones."

From Link -> "With HEOS, you can stream Spotify in any room of your home. Listen to tracks directly from your phone, tablet, USB drives or home network. Just use the Spotify app as a remote and control your music anywhere."

For me it's too closely tied to Spotify. Spotify loses money to this day:

So it's a safe bet they may close their doors at some point unless they can turn it around.

Collapse -
It did seem to apply to the OP, however...
by Pepe7 / November 13, 2014 1:00 AM PST

...if you look again at how it is written/phrased, IMNSHO clearly someone involved in constructing PR messages sent it out. It's right out of the MBA 'marketing 101' playbook Wink

Collapse -
Maybe, if the OP is a shill.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 1:02 AM PST

The common shill isn't as patient as this. They usually do the shill posts inside a day so with the time span I think the mods will give it a pass.

But then again, the Spotify lock-in is rather damming. No sale here.

Collapse -
Wouldn't bother me in the least
by Pepe7 / November 13, 2014 3:30 AM PST

Heck, look at Amazon's numbers as a good example. I personally still see Spotify's growing revenue instead of overall losses as the more significant figure. Especially considering the whole music streaming business is yet to be completely sorted out or mature.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?