On the hardware side:
1) A direct NIC to NIC connection requires a crossover CAT5 cable
2) NICs lights should be active and flashing
3) Device Manager should show no disabled devices.
On the software side:
1) Workgroup names should be the same
2) File and Print sharing enabled for that to occur
3) TCP/IP should be installed
4) Internet Connection Sharing should be enabled on the machine connected to the modem for that to occur
5) IP and Subnet addresses should be in the same range.
I am trying to set up a mini network with a desktop connected to broadband internet access as master computer, and my laptop, through an ethernet connection (via ethernet cable and ethernet modems). I have xp home on both Pcs, and McAfee firewall disabled on the master.
Somehow the laptop does not recognize the connection.
Any ideas ?