Desktops forum

General discussion

Home made "powerful" machine problems

Hello all,

I built a machine but ma having tons of problems with performance specially when playing World of Warcraft. An example of this that when I play WoW i get low FPS and can not run anything else. I can not run media player while playing. It stutters and cant switch to its window takes too long.

How do I diagnose what the problems is? I am guessing s something with my mother board since I tried taking my memory one at a time out. I also removed and tried each of my graphics card.

Mother board: Gigabyte SLI pro
graphics: 2 X leadtek 7800 nvidia
HD: 2 X 10K rpm SATA

help me diagnose this please Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home made "powerful" machine problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home made "powerful" machine problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A recurring problem is "how to install Windows."

In reply to: Home made "powerful" machine problems

I can't count how many don't know about current BIOS, motherboard drivers and more. Were the build instructions explicit about how to install Windows or were you left on your own?

Bob

Collapse -
You left out a few things...

What processor and how much and what type of RAM do you have on the system? If you are playing on-line then what kind of internet connection do you have, e.g. dial-up, DSL, cable,etc.?

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
WMP...won't play during Gaming..??

I thought this was the problem you described..
I'm not a GAMER....I have Games that came w/XP but I have never opened one of them..like in five years..
But if I sign-ON to the Internet w/WMP-10 running some Audio Files..it CUTS-out..until the ISP has loaded..
Why mess w/RAM..you really have me confused on the RAM being an issue..System Set-Up will give you the specs on your RAM Module(s)..
..RAM usually will be placed in the SLOT closest to the PROCESSOR..
You may need to check that configuration..
Gaming needs a MINIMUM of 1-GB of RAM..some Video Cards I have read about suggest upwards to 4-GB's of RAM..Gaming is really a mystery to me..except for the Power-issues..
600-watts minimum Power Supply....1-GB RAM...Video Card...
I sometimes use a SELECTIVE Start-UP for my Video Editing Projects..
or I use a CUSTOM PAGEFILE Size..plus the Defragmentation Program(alot)..along w/Re-Installing the OS or other software programs..
I have read that CHKDSK is just like a FORMAT Utility except it does NOT Remove FILES or Programs..use CHKDSK at least once per month..
I have learned to NOT LOAD some software if my MAIN Project Software is not really compatible w/that SOFTWARE..
Experiance is a very good teacher in the PC-user world..
DiskClean-Defragmentaion-EventViewer-Defaults-Reset-and-RESTART all work at some level until a RE-INSTALL is necessary.

Collapse -
Have you captured system benchmarks ...so you know when

the system is really going faster ?

What are the 'rest' of the system components...like what CPU ?
What PSU ? What RAM ?

Did you load all the MB drivers ?

What does 'device manager' show ? Everything OK there ?

Collapse -
addtional info

Sorry guys I wrote this post while being really frustrated yesterday and left out important things.

Processor is AMD FX57 and 2GB ram.

I have the latest BIOS and drivers. I tried checking if the memory was a problem so I removed one of the DIMMs and then switched with the other. I tried the same with the graphics cards.

Also WoW takes 100% of my CPU even though people with systems much MUCH weaker than mine don't get over 50%.

Keep in mind that I have formatted and reinstalled everything before and switched from raid 0 to none. Same problems except now it seemed to be getting worse. i checked on the CPU temperature since i have water cooling and its at 35 degrees Celsius almost always. My power supply is also 600w.

I ran memory test programs and found no errors. I defragged and ran checkdsk as well and fixed the errors there.

Collapse -
A few more tips

In reply to: addtional info

Use Never for screen saver.

Check the start menu\programs\startup folder, should be empty.

Click Start and in the run box type msconfig, on the general tab put the dot in selective startup. click the startup tab and uncheck all except your antivirus program,apply\ok and restart. Put a checkmark for the warning about selective startup.

You may find this site helpful to ID. the startup items.

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM

Collapse -
Example of weaker please...

In reply to: addtional info

If those weaker are a dual-core then it may be worth noting that your system is a single-core. There is also the issue of your internet connection that may also play a role as if you are on dial-up then a low frame rate may not be that surprising for example.

Regards,
JB

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.