Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Home Lan only works one way

by Kostass / April 28, 2005 6:20 AM PDT

Hi there

I have two comps running Win XP connected by a cross over cable. Master is ntfs file system other is fat 32?
I have used the Win XP wizard to set up a LAN

On my master computer I can see all the shared folders on the slave comp and have full access to them.

The slave computer however does not seem to be able to see the shared files on the master comp

I have tried turning off the firewall but this makes no difference.
The slave comp can access the internet via the master comp

Have you any ideas on how I should proceed to get two way transfer of the files?

Please keep the advice non technical if possible

Secondly Is it wise to have a firewall and anti virus on both machines or just have them on the machine (master) that is connected directly to internet via a USB connection to broadband modem

Many than

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Lan only works one way
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Lan only works one way
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the "master" PC...
by Michael Geist / April 28, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

to see if file and print sharing is enabled on the Exceptions tab of Windows Firewall.

Collapse -
You didn't mention which XP version
by Steven Haninger / April 28, 2005 10:49 AM PDT

Is it Home, Pro, one of each? Are both at SP2? Is there a good reason why one is NTFS and the other FAT 32? In some cases you will need to set both up to login requiring a password and have the same user(s) defined on both.

Collapse -
Reply to Steven and Micheal
by Kostass / April 29, 2005 1:14 AM PDT

I use Windows XP pro SP 2 on the Master comp, hence NTFE files
The minor comp has the same OS upgraded from Win 98 SE hence fat 32 files, but I have not got around to loading the SP2 yet.
I am not using Windows firewall, it is switched off on master comp. I am using Norton firewall and the minor comp is in the trusted file i.e all files and printers should be accessible.

The minor comp also has Norton firewall (and anti virus)with major comp in trusted zone. There seems to be no access to windows firewall on this machine? Looking through the help files it seems to imply that the firewall is only implemented on the master machine that is connected to the internet. Hence my question as to whether it is neccessary to have the Norton firewall on the minor machine at all?

All help appreciated

Kostass

Collapse -
Some more information
by Kostass / April 29, 2005 2:15 AM PDT

I have found some more info that may help?

In the windows help file for home networks it states:-
To connect to the shared folder from another computer
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type:
\\computer\share\
where computer is the name of the computer where the network resource lives and share is the share name of the shared folder on that computer.
3. Click OK.

I did this and a message appears entitled

Windows Explorer

\\Home-Kostas\Test. Network is not available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Comment. When I first set up this network the minor comp was running win 98 SE and the system worked fine both ways? Then for no reason that I can fathom the minor stopped working i.e. when I clicked on a file I received the message above. Even when the file was only 24Kbs. Main comp still worked OK. That is when I upgraded the minor to Win XP pro. To see if it helped?

Another thing, the main comp shows an icon saying ?Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged? even though it can read the files on minor comp and minor comp can communicate with the net through the main comp? I have physicaly pulled out the connecting wire and replaced just to check OK.
I went into local area connections and found that the nework connection was not connected, Click on check status, and low and behold it was connected, and icon showing disconnection dissapeared. This has made no difference to my problem though, have tried again, no go.

Very frustrating

Collapse -
Problems
by bclinger / April 30, 2005 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Some more information

The network cable unplugged refers only to your hard-wired connection device interface, not your wireless.

Each work station must have the folders that are to be accessible via the network as sharable and maybe even changable. Hit the properties button on each of the drives/folders to be shared on each machine you want to have that ability on the network. This includes CD drives, flash drives, et cetera. Also pay attention to what you name the various folders to be shared.

In addition, the Windows folder(s) and Program Files folders are probably not available via the network due to security restrictions placed by the operating system.

There will be times when you think everything is as it should be and it does not work. Try rebooting the computer(s) you are working with. It is amazing how something will show up after a reboot.

Once it is up and running properly, life's a breeze. Though when I upgraded to a Belkin Pre-N card in my laptop, life took two hours before it became a breeze. The previous installation was sooooo fast to do.
Ben

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?