Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Home gigabit network suggestions

Hi everyone,

After upgrading my home network I've been struggling to make sure all wired devices actually take advantage of gigabit connection. Any advice will be much appreciated.

So first off, my setup:
cable MODEM (22 mbit/s) - linksys EA3500 wi-fi gigabit ROUTER - in-wall cables - linksys SE2500 gigabit SWITCH

Pc with gigabit ethernet is connected to ROUTER, while in another room I have ps3 and xbox hooked up to the SWITCH.
I checked that PC and PS3 use gigabit, however simple data transer over the network yields 7,5 MB/s, which is somewhat below fast ethernet standard and nowhere near gigabit transfer speeds. Now I know that theoretical speeds are just a specification, but I had hoped I would get faster that the slower standard I had been on before. And at this speed I know it's not the hdd that is slowning things down as it would be at least 50-150 MB/s for sata drive.

I am somehow not convinced that there isn't a bootleneck somewhere, but I can't pinpoint it. I did check all the status lights on switch and made sure the settings are right on any device that is configurable, I am unable however to check if router sends out gigabit signal.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home gigabit network suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home gigabit network suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How are you doing your tests?

In reply to: Home gigabit network suggestions

If you are copying files with Windows Explorer to/from some other PC or NAS, such speeds you noted are normal even with a gigabit network. Why is well discussed so I'll suggest you try other speed tests.

A common gaffe is home made cables. Folk always get the pairs wrong and some are so upset about that that they'll stamp their feet and insist the pairs are 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8.
Bob

Collapse -
Test

In reply to: How are you doing your tests?

I just downloaded a 1Gb file from PC to PS3, timed it and did the math. I know it's not very scientific, but I couldn't find any software that would map the network and test speeds in my configuration.

Funny thing is, ps3 media server running on my PC reports reaching speeds of 100 MB/s while streaming over the network. Not sure how reliable that is. So as you can see, I'm getting mixed signals here.

I could theoritcally hook up my laptop on the far end of the network, but it doesn't support gigabit ethernet so I'm confused as how to test it all.

Collapse -
My PS3 does not do gigabit speeds.

In reply to: Test

As long as you don't have gigabit adapters you can't really test it. But for speed tests I have use FTP or similar tests like you find on google.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Hook up (s)

In reply to: Home gigabit network suggestions

As Mr. Proffit stated, matching hardware (gigabit). A DOCSIS 3 modem, Gigabit router and adapters, N wireless capability in laptop and CAT-6 cables for hardwire hook up (s) and maybe result change and of course bandwidth.Anything in the system (hardwire) that is not gigabit capable will default system back to 10/100

Collapse -
In-wall cables

In reply to: Hook up (s)

Ok, I guess the mystery is solved, today I connected ps3 straight to the wall instead of gigabit SWITCH. And yes, that was my bottleneck. I had forced ps3 to connect at gigabit speed and this time it said the ethernet cable is not connected, so in other words I won't be getting gigabit speeds without tearing my house apart to upgrade cabling. Or using a really long cable between the rooms, but that is far from neat.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.