General discussion

Home/End keys don't work!!!

Since a few days, Home and End keys don't work. If, for example, I'd want to go to the beginning of this post, I'd have to use cursor keys or the mouse, too bad. I can't figure out why is this happening. I have WinXP with Service Pack 2.

Any idea?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Home/End keys don't work!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Home/End keys don't work!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Home/End keys don't work!!!

Happened after SP2? (clue) Or a "keylogger" virus?

- Collapse -

I can't remember exactly if it happened a little after or a little before installing sp2. I'm sure it didn't happen JUST after sp2.

I'll pass Spybot to see if it's a keylogger.

- Collapse -

No keylogger found, I was wondering, could it be the generic driver that Windows uses for this keyboard is not correct? The keyboard has 105 keys.

- Collapse -

If you bring up Word or Wordpad and type in a few words and hit home or end do you have the same problem.

Do you have the same problem with both sets of home/end keys.

Can you try a different keyboard?

- Collapse -

Yes, the problem is the same in ANY program I try.

Both sets of home/end keys? Do you mean RePag/AvPag? If so, they work OK.

I could BUY a different keyboard, but I don't think that's the problem. All other keys work perfectly, and these two ones have ceased to work at the same time. Curious...

- Collapse -

Every standard keyboard has 2 home and 2 end keys. One set on the number pad and the other between it and the keyboard off. Do both sets fail to work?

Go to housecall.antivirus.com and run a virus check to see if you have a worm.

- Collapse -

Can you believe I never noticed that!!! I always used the set between the numpad and the rest of the keyboard. Those are the ones that don't work. The ones in the numpad (7 and 1) work OK. I'll run that virus check right now (anyway I have Kaspersky running as resident).

- Collapse -
num lock at boot

is set up automatically on at boot. This can be changed in "setup" (BIOS). May be the reason num pad works and other keys don't. Per session, without bios change, you can toggle the num lock on-off.

CNET Forums

Forum Info