Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Home connection will not stay enabled/connect upon boot up

by Zink45 / July 5, 2010 5:34 AM PDT

Each time I boot my computer I find that the internet network connection is "disabled." I can "enable" the connection and and all works well. However, the setting seems to default to "disabled" once I sign off and later reboot. I have looked through the "system" setting but did not find something that looked like it would apply. How do I enable this function once and for all? Thanks for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home connection will not stay enabled/connect upon boot up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home connection will not stay enabled/connect upon boot up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: disabled connection
by Kees Bakker / July 5, 2010 5:39 AM PDT

- What kind of a connection is it (cable, ADSL, satellite)?
- Wired or wireless?
- Where exactly do you see it's disabled?
- How exactly do you enable it?
- Any special software installed to manage the connection? Or all plain and default Windows without any addition?
- With "sign off" you mean sign off from your account to the welcome screen? Or something else?
- Is the connection still enabled if you sign on (logon) again without shutting down and rebooting? You didn't tell that.
- If you logon to another Windows account than you logged off from, is the machine still connected?

Collapse -
Re: disabled connection
by Zink45 / July 6, 2010 7:25 AM PDT

Hi Kees, name here is Marv. Thanks for your follow-up. I will try and clearify the problem per your questions. This is a new problem on an old computer with Win XP Pro. This machine was hit by a nasty "false" virus alert. I was able to stop it and have clean it off my machine, but for this one remaining issue. This is a DSL connection but this machine is wired to a gateway to this computer, others are wireless. When ever the machine is turned on I cannot connect with IE8 to the internet. Yahoo also does not work. In trying to solve this problem I eventually went to Start, Connect to, show All Connections and found that the "broadband" was "discounted". I can click on it and than click "connect" and all than works fine.

However, when I turn off the machine and turn it back on later, the broadband setting is back to "disconnected". There is no special software connected to manage connections. And, yes, if I leave IE8 and used anogther program, than later go back to IE8 I'm still connected. But, if I reboot the machine the connection for broadband is reset to "disconnected"

The machine seem to act like somewhere in "service", access to the internet or broadbank is set to "manual" and the default is "disconnected" not the way it was befor the malware attack with connected always on or "automatic" as in other "service" settings. I could not find a special service setting for this but there must be one. I'm just not knowlegable enough.

Also, on the network connections screen I have a "local area connection" and that is always showing "connected.

I hope this helps and you have a better idea of when I might look for the problme. Thanks for your time and assistance..........Marv

Collapse -
Have we lost this thread
by Zink45 / July 18, 2010 1:38 AM PDT

Kees....I have not seen a message back from you.....did I mess up thjis thread some how? Hope to hear back....I think I have solved my problem and wanted to thank you.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?