TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Audio upgrade

by colliesrule / December 25, 2008 1:10 PM PST

I have six Klipsch stereo floor speakers that are at least 15 years old. I'm hoping to use them for a surround sound setup but don't really know if that is possible. I know at the least I need a new A/V receiver. Are these speakers viable for a surround setup or is their something extra special about separate subwoofers, center and left/right speakers? My TV is 52" Sharp Aquos HDTV and i use DISH Network.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Audio upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Audio upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nice that you already have 6 Klipsch speakers.
by NM_Bill / December 25, 2008 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Home Audio upgrade

They may very well work fine for you.

Sure, multiple channel receivers are meant for surround sound setups, so yes, the intended use of the channels involves various speakers being assigned specific tasks.

In surround sound, the center channel is most important. It is intended to anchor dialog close by the screen. It typically may be being assigned 65%-70% of the audio energy info. Thusly, the front L&R speakers, are substantially downgraded in importance compared to classic two channel stereo.

SIde & possibly, rear speakers often coast, but get that important, sudden surge of sound to reinforce the feeling of surround effects. I must also make mention that a good surround system will make important use of a capable subwoofer to provide the instantaneous slam effect of sudden peaks. Sub woofers are best selected from dedicate makers of sub woofers. That would be a prudent addition to the set of Klipsch you do have.

Collapse -
6 Klipsch speakers
by colliesrule / December 26, 2008 2:48 AM PST

Thank you for your reply and it was very helpful. I considered purchasing a separate center speaker and subwoofer and then using 4 of the speakers for front/rear left/right for a 5.1 channel setup. Sounds like (no pun inteneded) that may be the ticket without having to buy all new speakers. Do you think there is any advantage to staying with Klipsch, for consistency or whatever, versus buying a different brand for the center and sub? Now just have to find a new A/V receiver. Thanks again for your input.

Collapse -
yes, very important question
by jostenmeat / December 26, 2008 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: 6 Klipsch speakers

while matching is beneficial for all speakers, its most crucial in the front, ie your center.

definitely use klipsch for center, you can even contact them for their recs on which models match the best.

The very best match, no question, is using three identical speakers in the front. its a very worthy goal, but not everyone is so lucky to pull that off. A lot of folks COULD have, if they knew any better, but they love having an overpriced, oversized credenza in the front for some reason, ruining not just audio, but having distracting lights up front. Funny thing is that this compromised path almost always costs more, and not less.

Collapse -
matching klipsch speakers
by colliesrule / December 26, 2008 11:06 AM PST

Thank you for your reply. Also very helpful and i will contact klipsch. I'm sure my speakers have a serial/model number on them somewhere! I assume by credenza you mean some sort of enclosed stereo cabinet. I am looking at some open backed models made by Bello. My parents always used a cabinet and it definitely mutes the sound. I want the furniture to disappear as much as possible. The only components i have to connect are the dish receiver, A/V receiver and DVD player. I am not a gamer so my receiver (I hope) won't need a lot of bells and whistles to support all of the gaming stuff. I do want my movies and classical music CDs to sound their best. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?