TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Audio HELP!

by emitch13 / August 13, 2005 11:27 AM PDT

I have an open-air loft that is about 500 sq. feet and I'm on a budget for around $250
I just ordered a 32" LCD and I want it to sound GREAT.
I've looked at the Samsung HT-DS610, Panasonic SC-HT670, Samsung HT-DS610, Sony HT-DDW660, Samsung HT-P38, Sony HT-DDW670, Panasonic SC-HT700, Panasonic SCHT05, Panasonic SC-HT720, Panasonic SC-HT650, Samsung HT-WP38, Sony HT-DDW760 among others.
I'd like to have a DVD player with it, but I'm willing to buy one separately. But I DO want the ability to use an optical connection with the audio, which the Sony's seem to lack.
It doesn't have to blow the windows out of my place, but I want it to sound as crisp & clear as possible.
Any help would be great! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Audio HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Audio HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Me too
by WeeManFoo / August 13, 2005 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Home Audio HELP!

I've been shopping around for a reciever in that range too. My sites are on th Panasonic SA-XR55s and the Panasonic SA-XR70s. Thease are small units so their should be enough room to add on a DVD player. It is also a good choice because once HD-DVD's and Bluray-DVD's come out, you can get an upgrade. I think thease two units are the same except for imputs. The XR70 has an HDMI imput so if you are going to hook up a nice DVD player to your TV, you can run the HDMI into the receiver and then HDMI out of the receiver into your TV. Then you would have digital sound and video. I'm still shopping around too so I have yet to actually use or hear first had in a real invironmet what they sound like. From what I hear, they don't sound as good as their analog cousins but sound pretty good as digital units go. Look hear for a review of the XR70 http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SA_XR70S/4505-6466_7-31290106.html?tag=pdtl-list
Good luck.

Collapse -
Sony HT-DDW660
by HTHMAN / August 14, 2005 8:58 AM PDT

I bought this one last year to use in a small TV room just to get better sound than from the TV and add souround sound. It is a very good product for the price. But, even in my small 12x12 room, the volume has to be turned up pretty high. These HTIBs may not have enough power for your needs. The sound and bass I get are very good and I am very happy with it. It just does not have near the power that my components have in my home theater room. See reviews on this model at this site.

Collapse -
I'm low end also....
by Ramerjamer / August 14, 2005 11:09 AM PDT

Check out the pioneer 5.1 dolby at walmart.($189.00)
and the phillips dvd player at best buy ($49.00)
My low end stereo in the game room is an old (really nice cheapy 12 years ago) technics doldy pro logic (sa-gx650), with mitsubishi mba ms2200 front speakers, and bose 301's rear and it still sounds fantastic! (under 1k) but not really made for home theater... I enjoy the heck out of dolby 5.1, and MY tv doesnt really need to sound better.... (like i said, i like cheap ;-}

Collapse -
Samsung HT-P38
by rswanson / August 15, 2005 3:02 AM PDT

I bought this for my small (12'x20') living room. I'm sure there is some audiophile out there who is going to say that it doesn't have the power necessary to get the job done but I think it sounds great. I stood in a Tweeter AV store for about an hour listening to all this high end equipment and I just can't tell the difference between the expensive stuff and my 'cheap' little system. Maybe my ears are broken. I never turn the volume up even to halfway (and that's LOUD) and I can't imagine more volume is needed to enjoy a DVD.

It's got a 5 disc changer, will play MP-3's and even has a USB port for iPods and such. It has one optical input but you can get a switch (under $30) that will allow you to connect more optical feeds to the receiver if necessary.

Collapse -
Sony HT-DDW670
by seance / August 26, 2005 3:42 PM PDT

Okay, I'm no expert, but I just bought the SOny HT-DDW67- because I got what seemed to be a great deal on it. (HH Gregg had a cheapie Coby system advertized for $77. My buddy told me he went to buy one but got upgraded to a $300 JVC system because the Coby crap was sold out, and they have an "In stock" guarantee. So I went to "buy" the cheap Coby and got upgraded to the Sony system.)

I haven't had this for long, but I can say that I am very happy with it. For the $77 I spent, it is amazing, and I bet I'd would have been happy spending the more typical $200 for it. This one DOES have an optical input, as well as plenty of other inputs and outputs, though no built-in DVD player. Be aware that this is purely an audio receiver and does not do any video. It took me a few minutes to decide how best to hook it up with my TV, digital cable box, DVD player and PS2, but it wasn't difficult and sounds great!

I did not compare this to many other systems due to the fabulous deal I got, but it has no trouble filling a ~400 sq. foot space. No, it is not a $5000 audiophile system, but it beats the hell out of my 4 year-old Philips non-digital system, which I still think was decent. It might not be ideal for you if you intend to scare your neighbors, small children on the next street, and every dog in the neighborhood, with pounding rap music, but it is GREAT for movies and music at any halfway-reasonable volume.

I've never been a Sony fan, since they sometimes seem to me to be like the McDonalds/Microsoft/CocaCola/800lb gorilla of electronics, but I must admit I'm often impressed with how well their stuff just works! You may find better, I really don't know, but the HT-DDW670 is a great basic HT system.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!