General discussion

Hockey stick debunked...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/162b0c58-47f5-11df-b998-00144feab49a.html

A key piece of evidence in climate change science was slammed as ?exaggerated? on Wednesday by the UK?s leading statistician, in a vindication of claims that global warming sceptics have been making for years.

Professor David Hand, president of the Royal Statistical Society, said that a graph shaped like an ice hockey stick that has been used to represent the recent rise in global temperatures had been compiled using ?inappropriate? methods.

?It used a particular statistical technique that exaggerated the effect [of recent warming],? he said.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hockey stick debunked...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hockey stick debunked...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
He did choose to ignore the fact that all of the raw

data on which the hockey stick effect was based has been "lost". That means that the original conclusions cannot be replicated. It seems that the cover up and fiction is not over yet.

- Collapse -
Hockey stick debunked.

What the Puck?..

You got me.

Saw the subject...Thought it was about the start of the eliminations for the Stanley Cup.

- Collapse -
Did you mean to post

"Hockey stick debunked AGAIN"?

It was debunked quite some time ago.

- Collapse -
You're right

as he has made many posts on "the hockey stick"

- Collapse -
Maybe "Hockey stick officially debunked"

Strangely, some don't know what the hockey stick is... not that it stops them from making inane comments.

- Collapse -
More sadly

some don't know what a "graph shaped like a hockey stick" is.

- Collapse -
Did you mean to post..

"Hockey stick officially debunked AGAIN"?
But it is good that others have learned it.

- Collapse -
Twig officially debunked AGAIN
- Collapse -
I can't help but notice ...

There were other relevant parts in the Financial Times article and the report that motivated the news piece.

The report itself: http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/CRUstatements/Report+of+the+Science+Assessment+Panel does not include the criticism from Mr. Hand. I don't know the context of the remark you quoted. The report itself does state that it was unclear whether use of different statistical methods would have produced any meaningful change in any of the research findings.

From the FT article:
FT.com / Global Economy - Global warming graph attacked by study
The criticism came as part of a report published on Wednesday that found the scientists behind the ?Climategate? e-mail scandal had behaved ?honestly and fairly? and showed ?no evidence of any deliberate scientific malpractice?.

Overall, I find the severity of the report's critique a bit underwhelming given the way a few of the quotes are being thrown about.

- Collapse -
Even if it wasn't....

It doesn't point the finger at any particular cause. I personally believe global warming is real and mostly a natural phenomenon given the tropical history of the planet.

What I would like all of the climate scientists to do is get off the climate change wagon and take a better look at the pollution statistics and plot some appropriate hockey sticks based on that. There's no doubt in my mind that we the fish are doing one heck of a job at pissing in our own tank.

CNET Forums

Forum Info