Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ho do I determine if a IP is freindly

I have just installed a zonealarm firewall the network is a wireless router with a wired dsl modem and two wired pcs on network and one wireless I keep getting an alert from zone alarm that a computer was trying to access my computer. zonealarm says it could be bad or normal. it lists the ip address but I google it and it there are like a million found. How do I determine if it is friendly or evil?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ho do I determine if a IP is freindly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ho do I determine if a IP is freindly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Need To Know...

In reply to: ho do I determine if a IP is freindly

ZoneAlarm is a firewall that allows or denies access based upon program functions.. You allow or deny only those programs that you want to have access to the internet. Anything else should be blocked. If ZA is blocking any attempt from an outside IP to access your computer, it should be left that way. In addition, because an IP address can be "spoofed" by the original intruder, it doesn't tell you much anyway..

Still, there are various IP address trace back sites. Below are a couple:

http://www.samspade.org/
http://visualroute.visualware.com/
http://www.dslreports.com/ip

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Recent attacks

In reply to: ho do I determine if a IP is freindly

My Norton Firewall logs show one particular IP address which has been trying to connect to port 2967 on my computer CONSTANTLY over the past several days.
I don't know why this is but I can only assume it's a random type of blanket attack because all my ports are supposed to be stealth.
The same thing could be occurring in your situation.

Collapse -
I dont connect to other pc's

In reply to: Recent attacks

I don't need to connect to other pc's on the network for anything I dont share files or have a shared printer or anything. IS there any reason another IP would need to connect to my pc? because zone alarm said in the more info area that there might be a legitimate reason for the IP trying to contact my computer. Also it is the same IP each time but the ip is using a different source port. It is a IP that is the same as one of the computers on the network but it is a 192.168 type that I thought might be generic.

Collapse -
Vonmoldy, if you have IE7 a free add-on

In reply to: I dont connect to other pc's

Click a space to check Menu Bar. Tools lists Add-Ons. There is this one that is Free that have a lot of Downloads.
CallingID for the Internet by CallingID Read Reviews

CallingID safe browsing toolbar automatically shows whether sites visited are real and safe to login, submit personal information to or deal with. It displays the site owner's name and physical addre ... more...
Price: FREE Downloads: 5261 Download - 4.4 MB

It will list sites after Help. Darrell L.

Collapse -
I only use firefox

In reply to: Vonmoldy, if you have IE7 a free add-on

unless I have to use IE.
I may be able to exlain my concern in a more simple way. Is Zonealarm's skill at telling the difference between a attempt to connect to my pc from my network or the internet trustworthy?

Collapse -
You mentioned finally that...

In reply to: I dont connect to other pc's

"it is a 192.168 type" which means that it is a local computer on YOUR NETWORK.

That is all right if the IP address is the one assigned to any of your other computers but a problem if not. If you have a wireless network and it is unsecured your router may be assigning that address to someone you don't know - secure the network.
Collapse -
my network should be secure

In reply to: You mentioned finally that...

I have a password setup and changed the name from the default name .
Why would another pc need to connect to mine? Could it be from the router? How would I find out for sure? finally how would I tell if it is coming from my network?

Collapse -
Have You Done Malware Scans On All OTHER Computers...

In reply to: my network should be secure

...on your network? If not, try doing so.. Although doubtful, there could be a trojan/worm on another computer which is trying to find other machines to infect.

If everything comes up clean, check the other machines to see if there is a mapped network drive which would constantly try to connect to your machine. (Such drives can be seen in "My Computer".)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
And how did you configure...

In reply to: my network should be secure

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.