Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

hmm... need some expert help here

greetings...
i have a thin black/grey horizontal line running through the center of my screen. Ive tried changing my desktop pic, restarting etc... does anyone know how to remove it? cause i dont, i dont even know how it got there, or when...

its probably something so simple.. then i will feel stupid after.. oh well, any kind of help welcomed.

Thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hmm... need some expert help here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hmm... need some expert help here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:hmm... need some expert help here (line on display.)

In reply to: hmm... need some expert help here

" A single 'damper wire' (or two wires for bigger screen monitors) is placed horizontally across the vertical stripes of the FD Trinitron Aperture Grille. This holds the grille in place and limits possible vibration. Generally, the line is not visible, although it may be seen against a white background. "

Is this the usual support wire in the display tube?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:hmm... need some expert help here (line on display.)

In reply to: Re:hmm... need some expert help here (line on display.)

ummm... i dont know about all these "technical" terms. Im using a notebook its a 15", i can see this line even on a black background and it is always on top of everything, even my mouse cursor thingy. It resembles a windows border - it is less than .1 cm in width bottom is black and top part is grey. At first i just thought it was a remains of another program on the screen but it wont go away at all. Sorry im not sure what you are refering too.. this grille/wire thing, so i couldnt say is it were or not? how could i tell if it is?

Thx

Collapse -
Laptop display or LCD...

In reply to: Re:Re:hmm... need some expert help here (line on display.)

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

Given what was written, my immediate thought were those CRTs with support wires.

If reboots, reboot to SAFE MODE doesn't change this display anomaly consider checking your warranty since laptop display failures often mean the end of said laptop. The display or motherboard is usually are fault with a close second to connections/cables between these pieces.

At today's repair prices, you can easily approach 1/2 the price of a new laptop...

If the unit is old and not worth repairing (you haven't revealed much about the hardware), then a last hurrah would be that last BACKUP of what you can't lose, then taking it apart to wiggle all connections, put it together and hope it survived or even fixed it. There is no assurance this will help.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Laptop display or LCD...

In reply to: Laptop display or LCD...

sorry dude... i didnt think it was a serious matter to tell u tha truth, but my bad. I just got tha laptop 3 months ago.. rnning Xp and its a toshiba satelite - thats all i could tell ya bout it seriously - when the line appeared i think i was using paint shop pro and printing something ... i had also just installed new printer softwear... but i dont think that has anything to do with it.

I did some pc restoring before then also, because i think there is a problem with my cd-rom drive (needs physical cleaning) - maybe the whole thing is stuffed.

I dont know if any of this info is relevent, sorry if it aint.

Thx for ya concern so far

Collapse -
At 3 months old, at least it's a warranty item.

In reply to: Re:Laptop display or LCD...

The "Tip:" item is just above the Message nody and is presented with every post you make. In this case, it's very relevant since those Sony's had support wires. You can save a few exchanges with more information. Don't fret about it, but do share info when you can.

As to 3 months and having this many problems, it's time to exercise that warranty if SAFE MODE shows that display line. I'd bug them anyway about that CD drive. My laptop is some 3+ years old and I haven't had to futz with it since they replaced the drive in the second month.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:At 3 months old, at least it's a warranty item.

In reply to: At 3 months old, at least it's a warranty item.

Ahhh... no worries mate, we all learn from our little mishaps, i will try the safe mode thing out - if not i will post back up soon and excercise that warranty.

Thx for da help =D

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.