Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Hmm. Looks like cleanup on Aisle 4...

by Me, Myself and You / March 13, 2008 8:30 PM PDT

I have a Mac Mini, Leopard, etc etc etc.

Now, uninstalling software isn't as clean cut as I originally thought. A lot of applications leave crap in other places, yet don't actually offer any opportunity to 'uninstall' it - dragging it to the bin is all you are given. Anyway, a wee while I ago I installed parallels, and tried to get it to work... panicking the OS. I promptly thought 'to hell with that!' and chucked the whole entire parallels folder in the bin and emptied. Now, parallels is gone, but it's left a trail of junk in the OS. The airport configuration sidebar to name 1. Hell, I think there are even some processes running that belong to that POS. What I am looking for is an application to essentially get rid of the junk that is left behind. I have heard of 'Appdelete' and similar programs, but that only seems to work when you er, haven't already deleted the application in question.

Also, going slightly off topic here, but there is a lot of junk that comes with Macs that I just don't use. Most of the iLife suite is useless to me, and a lot of the stuff that comes on the OS could probably be removed. If I get rid of this stuff now will it be any good? Or should I just junk the OS, format and reinstall with only the stuff I actually need? Formatting would be a royal pain in the **** to be honest but factory installations of computer operating systems do tend to be rather full on.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hmm. Looks like cleanup on Aisle 4...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hmm. Looks like cleanup on Aisle 4...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uninstalling
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 9:58 PM PDT

As you said, it's a little late now that the program has been deleted.

Most uninstaller rely on being present when the application is installed so that it can keep a record of what went where.

You will find most of the stuff in the your library, usually under the makers or apps name, with more stuff in the other library.

You might try reinstalling // where you "may" find the uninstaller program. Some programs have the uninstaller built into the installer.

Yep, iLife can be removed if you do not use it.

Format and install itself is so simple and easy that you must have something else going on for it to be a pain.
Factory installations of OS X really do not contain much above the core OS and the core Apps, unlike the gigs of crapware installed on a new Winbox. Trial versions of Office & iWork are about the only "unsolicited" stuff in OS X

Good luck

P

Collapse -
Well,
by Me, Myself and You / March 13, 2008 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstalling

I've trashed most of what I don't need using appdelete. iLife is pretty much gone. So are the trial of iwork and office.

Just wondering though, perhaps I am in Windows mode, if on Windows you installed a system and then stripped it down afterwards, it often leads more crap and wouldn't result in as clean a finish as if you modify the installation CD and then install the customized system. I was thinking that might have been the same with the Mac OS, perhaps I'm wrong. I can do just about anything I'd ever want to in Windows but I only just learned how to do killall in the terminal LOL.

Perhaps I'm being a moron but wouldn't re-installing the Mac OS make programs installed, settings set, hell, even desktop icons, all back to the default? Or does that not happen? If I could re-install the OS... but still have files and settings exactly as they were, that would be literally miraculous. Still, I'd only do it if it was a last resort.

Collapse -
What about this?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Well,

"If I could re-install the OS... but still have files and settings exactly as they were, that would be literally miraculous.

In the Mac world we call this an Archive and Install (Preserve Settings).

By choosing that option, in the installer, your Home folder (directory) and its contents are preserved, and a new System folder is installed. The previous system folder is renamed to Previous Systems. (seems logical)

At the end of the install, your Home folder is put back where it was and you reboot to start using the new system folder. All your settings, preferences, icon placements, etc. are as they were before you started.

Is this what you were referring to?

P

Collapse -
Exactly.
by Me, Myself and You / March 14, 2008 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: What about this?

Yes, and thank you for explaining. I honestly never knew it was so simple.

I will keep it in mind.

Collapse -
No iLife?
by tleMega / March 14, 2008 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Exactly.

iLife isn't the best media suite out there, for sure, but I find it entertaining from time to time. Each to their own.
So what do you want to call the Mini, now that you have two systems on it and a lot of Apple's software removed? A Windowtosh? Happy Interesting. I personally think it would be more fun to have a regular, consumer Mac tower in between the Mini and the Pro to take apart and customize. Not to small, nor too big.
Now that gets me wondering about what Apple would be like if they bought out the company making that ModBook (I believe that is Axiotron) and added in this regular tower desktop. The Macintosh family would hold a little bit of everything for everyone then. Now if they could offer PPC chips alongside Intel ones... That would make the Macs more like Macs.

-BMF

Collapse -
Agree... completely.
by Me, Myself and You / March 14, 2008 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: No iLife?

And yeah, a Windowtosh Grin

Collapse -
Intel has turned them all into PCs really
by tleMega / March 15, 2008 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Agree... completely.

When you think about it, today's Macs are basically the same as Winboxes, except the Macs are running Apple authorized hardware. Intel's products are nice and fast, but the only real decision you have to make between switching or not is your OS preference, not hardware (anymore). IBM is churning out some lightning-fast POWER chips, which would make the XServe very powerful if they could fit those chips in there. But, the good old PowerPC lineup has become anything but a choice for computers now. The 360, has claimed the PowerPC. I wonder what an old PowerMac with that triple-core, 3.2Ghz Xbox chip could do. Nice.

I guess Windowtosh beats Hackintosh though, right? Grin

-BMF

Collapse -
anyday.
by Me, Myself and You / March 15, 2008 1:19 PM PDT

a windowtosh rocks your socks anyday Wink

i've talked to people online who've run Mac OS on a PC too, but it was a lot of work..

Collapse -
I don't see the point to doing that
by tleMega / March 15, 2008 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: anyday.

Why run OS X on a Windows PC when it runs better/faster on a Mac? At least, that's what I would think. Depends on your system config I suppose. Of course if I built a Windows machine worth of running OS X, I'd load XP onto it and use it for gaming and video editing. But, I still prefer the good old Xbox :D. Since mine's away, again, from the RRoD, I've been playing my vintage consoles to pass time. Who needs that new Super Smash Brothers game when you have the original and the Melee version? Silly

Anyway, since you brought up the Mini, I recall seeing a cool mod where this guy turned his Mini into a "Mini Pro" or something. Looked like a scaled-down Mac Pro. And it was easy to swap parts by the looks of it. Sounds good to me. Anything that small, has FireWire, and runs OS X, must be. Now if only current Mac notebooks were just as customizable... I could use a hot swap bay for on-the-go drives.

-BMF

Collapse -
Hmm. Looks like cleanup on Aisle 4...
by Me, Myself and You / March 15, 2008 2:17 PM PDT

Just get a Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM and 8 cores... beast computers.

Collapse -
Get a Mac Pro?
by tleMega / March 15, 2008 3:03 PM PDT

Sure, except there's that "beastly" price to go with it. Of all people in the world, who could seriously use it? 4GB to 8GB of RAM should be enough for even high-end users, but 32GB? And 8 cores? There is no software that exists today that can really take use of so many cores. A dual-core CPU with a high cache and clock speed could get the job done, I'm sure. Intel has a little line of chips dubbed "Extreme", and I saw somewhere that some of those chips can be clocked up well beyond the 3Ghz range... Wasn't that latest Extreme quad-core chip clocked up to 6Ghz? Ah, here it is. But there are faster chips out there :P. Still, that is amazing.

-BMF

Collapse -
Well....
by Me, Myself and You / March 15, 2008 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Get a Mac Pro?

Core 2 Extreme's are just High end Duo's with unlocked multiplier. Which means overclocking heaven. But why people pay for these on a Mac when overclocking on Macs is basically impossible, I fail to understand.

Collapse -
AppZapper
by robertmro / March 14, 2008 1:51 PM PDT

In the future you should use an application like AppZapper $12

http://appzapper.com/

There are free ones if you search online.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?