Samsung forum

Tip

HLT 5676SX/XAA 56" DLP TV -- White Spot Issue

by rodbod24 / April 4, 2012 5:52 AM PDT

I have a 56" Samsung DLP model# HLT5676SX/XAA that I bought in '09. On 2/6/12 it started having white spots appearing on the screen. Now the "star field" is well over 100+ spots, to the point of being unwatchable. After reviewing numerous chat forums and debating on if to buy the DMD chip and replace it myself or chance having a "service" repair come out at an outrageous cost, I found this forum with a good recommendation. This DMD chip is a bad design and is a cronic problem with DLP's as a whole. I like this TV and would like to get it fixed versus buying a new one and it is not that old.

I contacted Samsung directly thru their Customer Live Chat assistance (highly recommended). They agreed to repair on a 1 time courtesy basis. The service appointment is set up for late next week with a local service company. If the problem is not resolved I agreed to pay for the service call and the service company would provide an estimate on what it would take to fix the issue.

I hope this resolves the issue and Samsung will be highly recommended on their customer service side.
Try this if you are having white spot issues.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HLT 5676SX/XAA 56" DLP TV -- White Spot Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HLT 5676SX/XAA 56" DLP TV -- White Spot Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2012 2:13 AM PDT

rodbod24,

Good news.

I watch these situations, so please keep us posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by rodbod24 / April 5, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

The Service Center has scheduled the local techs in my area for Tuesday 4/10. Will update with the results.

Collapse -
im seeing white spots
by tamar47 / April 5, 2012 12:02 PM PDT

i too have a samsung tv. same model as yours.
how do i go about resolving this issue.
any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
im seeing white spots -- Samsung Customer Serv - Live Chat
by rodbod24 / April 6, 2012 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: im seeing white spots

Samsung will replace the DLP chip (if that is the problem) as a 1 time replacement only.

Go to >> http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact
and start a live chat and tell them you have white spots on your TV. They will ask you a series of questions and will assign a work order ticket and contact someone in your area to come out and check on the issue. If the issue is just the DLP chip replacement, then Samsung covers the costs of the part and the service call. If that does not fix your issue, then you will have to pay for the serv call and the serv company will give you an estimate of what the true problem is and what it takes to fix it. You have to agree to this up front before going forward with the scheduled appt.

hope this helps.

Collapse -
by rodbod24 / April 16, 2012 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: im seeing white spots

The service techs did replace the DLP chip and that fixed the white spot issues!!!!
The one issue they had with my model was getting the picture to line up (tilt/rotatio issue) after it was reassembled. Tht took almost an hour. They tried to say that they were only there to fix the DLP chip but not the alignment issue. There was no alignment issue before I told them and I helped them aligned the picture to my satisfaction. Overall - very happy with no more white spots. Hope this lasts longer than 3 years.

Collapse -
Also white spots, phone and live chat, no help.
by way2fast91 / April 6, 2012 5:51 AM PDT

I too have been getting the dreaded White spots on my hl-t6187s for the last month now. I called Samsung and got elevated to ECR, however they gave me the same response, your model isn't determined to be at the higher failure rate as others. So I tried this chat option and the person is giving me the same line. What a hastle!

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

All Samsung Agents are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. A Samsung Agent will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with 'Juanita G'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is -------------
Juanita G: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Brad: Hello, I am having issues with White Spots on my DLP TV.

Juanita G: I am sorry to know that there are white dots appearing on the screen of the TV. Let me help you with that.

Juanita G: May I know the model and serial number of the TV?

Brad: HL-T 6187SX/XAA

Brad: AH-----------------

Juanita G: Thanks for the information.

Juanita G: Does this happen on all inputs (like DVD and cable box)?

Brad: yes, input source doesn't matter

Juanita G: Does the same issue happens on menu screen?

Brad: yes

Juanita G: May I place you on hold for few minutes

Juanita G: ?

Brad: sure

Juanita G: Thank you.

Juanita G: Thank you for holding.

Juanita G: Please try resetting the picture to it's factory settings as mentioned in the steps provided from the link below to fix the issue:

Juanita G: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00022334&fm_seq=22502

Juanita G: Is the link above accessible?

Brad: It is, I have already attempt this and it didn't fix the issue.

Juanita G: As we performed all the troubleshooting steps and issue still persists, the device needs to be serviced. Let me provide you with a link where you can file an online service request.

Juanita G: Please visit the link below to file a request:

Juanita G: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/request

Juanita G: You can get back to Live Chat with the ticket ID --------------- anytime if you run into issues filing the service request. We are available 24X7.

Brad: I am aware the TV is out of warranty, however I have read about the issues related to the DLP chip being faulty and am I expect Samsung would be willing to replace the chip free of charge if that is in fact the cause of the issue.

Juanita G: Our engineers have determined that after a certain amount of use, parts may fail and need to be replaced as a result of normal wear and tear, not an inherent defect.

Brad: Even if I had the TV on 24/7 for the last 3 years I've owned it, that wouldn't be enough wear and tear to result in this.

Brad: I might expect something like this for a $600 TV, but not from Samsung and not for $2000.

Brad: This is the reason I had purchased Samsung components in the past at a premium.

Juanita G: I understand your concern. I am sorry; as the TV is out of warranty, repair charges needs to be paid to get the TV serviced.

Brad: I've also read where numerous people are able to get Samsung to agree to cove the cost of the chip, if that is determined to be the issue. So I don

Brad: Don't deserve the same offer as other customers?

Brad: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-560045/hlt-5676sx-xaa-56-dlp-tv-white-spot-issue/?messageId=5295454&tag=rb_content;contentBody

Juanita G: After thorough research, it was determined that only specific models exhibited a slightly higher-than-normal failure rate. Although your TV has similar symptoms, research indicates that this is due to normal wear and tear.

HD_tech any help you can provide here?

Collapse -
Unfortunately, no....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 8, 2012 3:25 PM PDT

way2fast91 -

I don't have the authority on service related issues.

They answer they gave suggests that you don't have a model that is covered. If that's the case, I can't assist further than that.

You can try the service issues thread and ask a manager to review your case. That's on the top of Page 1 here at C|Net:Samsung Forums. Outside of that, that's a decision for service to make.

Maybe that's worth a try.

--HDTech

Collapse -
List of affected models? Mine is HLT6187SX/XAA
by FloridaSon / April 14, 2012 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately, no....

Samsung_HD_Tech thank you for the work. Is a list of affected models available somewhere. I went through he EXACT exchange above.

Background: My problem was I called 1 800 Samsung on the 11th and was told this would be a one time replacement and to expect a service person to call within 48 hours. No one id and now my model is not one covered?

Collapse -
I don't have lists...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 15, 2012 4:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
DLP chip white spot update Service #4114513148
by FloridaSon / April 16, 2012 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't have lists...

On the 11 phone support at samsung told me I qualified for a one time chip only replacement and to expect a phone call. after waiting several days I called back. Although Samsung had a record that I called, they said no record of promising me the one timw chip replacement existed. So I agreed to have a service subcontractor do the repair. Today I heard from our local Samsung rwp, he asked Samsung wouldnt give you the chip replacement? Sounds like they have done so in the past. What gives?ticket# 4114513148

Collapse -
DLP chip white spot update Service #4114513148 -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 16, 2012 12:52 PM PDT

FloridaSon,

I've personally escalated this as of this evening, but will be expecting a response in about 24 hours. Stay on this when you hear back and let me know if they reach out, and I'll do the same if I hear on my end.

--HDTech

Collapse -
no word from samsung yet
by FloridaSon / April 19, 2012 8:35 PM PDT

thank you for helping but nothing back from samsung. i was contacted by the repair shop that suggested i ask originally and again they were supprised samsung would not ageee to a chip only one time replacement. the chip is $240 and service is $260 so we are going to do it as that is still better than buying a new tv. have you heard anything from your side? thanks again

Collapse -
Affected DLP TVs model number for White Dots issues
by bikinisurfer09 / April 24, 2012 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't have lists...

Model_______________Manufacture Date
HLS5065WX/XAA Unit produced August 2006 and later
HLS5086WX/XAA
HLS5686WX/XAA
HLS6165WX/XAA
HLS6186WX/XAA
HLS4266WX/XAA
HLS4666WX/XAA
HLS4676SX/XAA All units
HLT4675SX/XAA
HLT5055WX/XAA
HLT5075SX/XAA
HLT5076SX/XAA
HLT5675SX/XAA
HLT5676SX/XAA
HLT6176SX/XAA

Collapse -
Affected model number for DLP TV White dots issue
by bikinisurfer09 / April 24, 2012 1:18 AM PDT

Model_______________Manufacture Date
HLS5065WX/XAA Unit produced August 2006 and later
HLS5086WX/XAA
HLS5686WX/XAA
HLS6165WX/XAA
HLS6186WX/XAA
HLS4266WX/XAA
HLS4666WX/XAA
HLS4676SX/XAA All units
HLT4675SX/XAA
HLT5055WX/XAA
HLT5075SX/XAA
HLT5076SX/XAA
HLT5675SX/XAA
HLT5676SX/XAA
HLT6176SX/XAA

Collapse -
Newer models
by dnigly13 / May 2, 2012 6:48 AM PDT

I have the HLT5087s like all the other 87's they will not fix it.

As a poster above said, they dont have the same failure rate.

I believe it is because the newer models have not failed yet. I am an attorney in NJ where samsung is located. I plan to email the office of the president and if I do not hear from him I will either file a complaint with the state regulatory agency (BBB or AG) or I might get others to join in a class action suit against samsung. I would love to see the stats and engineer reports through discovery.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2012 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Newer models

Be sure to go after Ti as well and the second tip is to ask about how humidity factors into the failures.

Just a tip.
Bob

Collapse -
My 5687 has failed too
by zackboll / December 4, 2013 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Newer models

I have a HLT-5687 and mine failed also with white dots.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?