HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

HLR5087wxaa DLP 50" TV video issue

by sskim1123 / November 1, 2010 3:43 AM PDT

I bought this tv about 5 years ago. The lamp has never been replaced. Started about a few months ago, the video goes blank about 30 min running. I still have audio going and i can see the lamp is still burning. If i turn it off for 10 sec and turn it back on, it will come back normal for 5 to 10 min only. I read few discussion already and tried to by pass the cable box. Still have same issue. I opened up the back panel, and made sure the cooling fan is running and it was. Shoud I still try a new lamp even if the lamp is still lit anyway ?. Any other suggestion ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HLR5087wxaa DLP 50" TV video issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HLR5087wxaa DLP 50" TV video issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 1, 2010 8:06 AM PDT

sskim1123,

Try re-seating the lamp. With the unit cool and unplugged, open the lamp door, unseat the lamp, side it out, push it back in firmly and reattach it to the housing. Then put the lamp cover back on and see if that helps.

Sometimes just re-seating the lamp (pulling it out and pushing it back in, essentially) fixes these issues.

It might also be time for a new lamp if you notice that the picture has dimmed. Once you notice it start dimming or you need to turn the brightness settings up, that's usually a good time to order a lamp and replace it.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by sskim1123 / November 1, 2010 9:33 PM PDT

Thank you HDTech for a such a quick response,
I will order a new lamp and repost if it worked or not.

Collapse -
by sskim1123 / December 15, 2010 9:58 AM PST

Hello hdtech,
I've been away for a while. I just replaced the bulb and the picture does look brighter. But, it didn't fix my problem. The video Still goes blank after 30 to 40 min running initially, then every 5 to 10 min after cycling the power. I can see some people having same issue as i do with this model TV, but i don't see any solution yet. Can you suggest any idea ? By the way, when i replaced the bulb, i made sure i seat the housing all the way in the slot to make good contact.
Thanks.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 16, 2010 7:50 AM PST

sskim1123,

Is this happening on all inputs? Or just with a cable/sat box?

The only other thing I might suggest would be, if you have one, to reset (umplug) the cable/sat box.

Outside of that, it'd be a service issue that would require service. Unfortunately, I can't assist with removing parts and fixing internal parts.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by sskim1123 / December 17, 2010 5:48 PM PST

HDtech,
Yes it is happening over all inputs (my ps3 and dvd player also). I also heard that there is some procedure to reset the ramp run hour, is this true?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 19, 2010 6:52 PM PST

sskim1123,

Not that I'm aware of. Its just a counter. But it also involves going into the service menu, which is something I recommend you not do.

I'd recommend having a technician look at it anyway. I'd be hard pressed to diagnose a TV without inspecting it, and someone else would be able to give it a once over to see what the issue would be.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.