Samsung forum

Resolved Question

HL-T6187S White Dots

Over the course of the past year, my HDTV has been developing white dots that have gotten progressively worse.
I am currently unable to afford the labor cost to fix this, let alone purchase a new TV, and I am wondering what my options are.

I have read some threads here where they have managed to get this fixed at no cost, but in calling Samsung I was told that my display is not covered for this kind of repair, even though the issue is exactly the same as in the HDTVs that are covered.

I have seen that Samsung_HD_Tech has been very kind in helping users escalate issues to maybe get this resolved. If you read this Samsung_HD_Tech, I humbly ask for your help!

Model #: HL-T6187S
Model Code: HLT6187SX/XAA
Transaction ID: 5108191462

TrptJim has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HL-T6187S White Dots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HL-T6187S White Dots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TrptJim

Collapse -
As it gets farther out of warranty

In reply to: HL-T6187S White Dots

The part in question will fail over time. It's not solid state and there are documents about the expected life span so old posts where it failed earlier than expected and was covered can lead folk to believe it's the same issue but it isn't.

Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgiZdc4kZDw for an example of what to expect if you DIY.
Parts are out there at samsungparts.com and shopjimmy.com
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, but I have bigger problems now. :(

In reply to: As it gets farther out of warranty

Thank you for that information. Samsung support has gotten back to me offering to cover the cost of the DLP chip and only charging for labor. I put in a repair order for next week. Unfortunately, in my initial process of going through Samsung's support web site looking for information relating to this problem, I just had to notice a firmware update that I never applied.

I mean "unfortunately" because that lead to me attempting to upgrade the firmware, which resulted in an error and now I have what looks like a dead TV. It powers up to a black screen (with the white dots still there but frozen and not flashing) and the LED light blinking. I don't know if I should make a separate post for this, but anyone know of a way to recover from this? I followed the instructions to the letter, and made absolutely sure that the firmware was for this model DLP.

I feel horrible for trying to upgrade the firmware now, and I really have no idea what to do at this point. Went from an annoying problem to a much worse problem.

Collapse -
Have to ask Samsung.

In reply to: Thanks, but I have bigger problems now. :(

The TV Tech I know installs a new board if firmware updates fail. They do try it from the stick again but if that doesn't take, then the word I have is you swap the main board with the flash memory.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.