TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HL-R5087W or KDS-R50XBR1?

by DizzleCizzle / January 24, 2006 8:30 AM PST

I just cannot make my decision!

First, I wanted ONLY an LCD set, but after being unimpressed with the picture quality of all the sets I'd seen, I strayed from LCD to LCoS, after I saw the JVC HD52G786....the picture on this set is marvelous, but reviews for it aren't that great, and I've heard nothing but bad reports about JVC's customer service, so it was eliminated.

Which left only 2 sets...

Samsung's 50'' HL-R5087W

Sony's 50'' KDS-R50XBR1

I just can't decide....The Sony undoubtedly has the greatest picture, as well as having 1080p capability, but it's much more expensive. (Maybe in 2 or 3 months, when I actually am able to purchase my set, the price will have gone down?) The Samsung's picture quality is just as good, and it's cheaper, but doesn't support 1080p. I've heard that 1080p isn't as great as it's cracked up to be, but I'd rather judge that for myself.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HL-R5087W or KDS-R50XBR1?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HL-R5087W or KDS-R50XBR1?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Price Drop
by mimsical / January 30, 2006 5:33 AM PST

You may want to reinvestigate the Sony KDSR50XBR1. We purchased it yesterday at Circuit City for an unbelievable $2990. This is due to a recent price break by Sony AND a special at Circuit City!

Collapse -
Sony KDSR50XBR1- non-Sony authorized dealer?
by bockee / February 6, 2006 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Price Drop

That price is incredible! The circuit city by me has it for $3499. Tell me, which Circuit City did you go to? I could probably reference it and get a better rate. Otherwise I'm considering getting it from a non-authorized dealer but I just spoke to Sony and they said they won't honor the warranty. Thoughts? I love the tv and I want it!

Collapse -
HL-R5087W or KDS-R50XBR1?
by jcrobso / February 6, 2006 2:37 AM PST

Yes Sony has the best picture of the two. JVC seems to be shooting themselves in foot on service. To bad I have allwise liked JVC.
1080p/24 will only be on HD-DVDs when ever that happnes.
I'm not holding my breath waiting for 1080p.
See if you can get them to demo the sets with RF or SD program material and see what kind of a job they do on that. John

Collapse -
That's the shame in it...
by DizzleCizzle / February 6, 2006 3:17 AM PST

About the JVC, that's what gets me mad is that otherwise, the HD56G786 has a fantastic picture, and I had a good JVC 27'' CRT that lasted me a good 10 years and is still being used by my parents, so to read these horror stories about JVC's customer service is disheartening, since if it weren't for that, I'd have already had this TV in my living room.

Anyway, I'm heading to Circuit City today. Still haven't decided which TV is right for me. I'm thinking the SXRD is out as of right now, because my budget has been decreased due to college and having to spend an insane amount of money on textbooks. I swear, they ROB you...make you spend all that money, then 3 months later, when the semester is over, they give you $10 for it. But I'm rambling, so back on subject....

So I'm thinkin either the 55'' KDFE55A20 or the afforementioned HL-R5087W. There's just so many questions going on in my I save money and buy them online, yet risk the chance that something could go wrong and I'd have to pay to ship it back, or buy it locally, which is more convenient, but also more expensive. Why Best Buy and Circuit City have to sell all TV's almost $500 - $700 more is a mystery to me. I could use that extra $500 and buy me an extended warranty and maybe even a DENON upconverting dvd player.

Collapse -
It's decided...
by DizzleCizzle / February 7, 2006 6:40 AM PST

It's gonna hurt, but I'm definately getting the Sony 50'' KDS-R50XBR1. It cuts out the Denon DVD player I was planning to purchase, but I'll get it later on. The picture on this TV is just too perfect to ignore.

Collapse -
Call Sony- great price
by bockee / February 7, 2006 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: It's decided...

I got the Sony for $3199 today... through Sony style. They will match any authorized reseller price, and I read that Circuit City was selling it in SC (see other posting on this forum) so I called them and got confirmation. I decided the extra $ was worth it because they don't honor the warranty if it's from a non-authorized dealer. Check on the sony style site for a list of authorized dealers. Free shipping and set-up!

Collapse -
Sounds like an excellent move. Even though......
by Riverledge / February 7, 2006 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: It's decided...

It's not quite in my price range; I love this set. The 60'' wouldn't fit in my space. If I could, I would buy it, in half a heartbeat. I hope you enjoy it as much I want it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?