General discussion

HL-DT-ST-DVD+-RW GSA-T21N ATA, DVD+R Burning/Playing Problem

I just spent hours trying everything I could find to fix my dvd/cd rw drive. The problem is when I burn a cd, using any media player, it says the disc is burned but then when put into any cd player, will show it's playing but there is no sound. Or it will play for a 20 or 30 seconds, then quit. I tried iTunes, Windows Media, and RealPlayer. Also, when I try to play a cd or dvd, the sound is broken and choppy. I've tried running a lens cleaner, making sure drivers are updated, looked in the registry for upper and lower filters (there weren't any), and everything else I have found to try. The drive is pretty new. It worked at first, but not for long. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HL-DT-ST-DVD+-RW GSA-T21N ATA, DVD+R Burning/Playing Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HL-DT-ST-DVD+-RW GSA-T21N ATA, DVD+R Burning/Playing Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sometimes the

problem with burning failures cheap media your recording onto. I don't have a preferred brand because almost all the brands I've used have had at least one copy that failed.

- Collapse -
Besides cheap media.

1. Record speed matters. I burn at HALF the media speed or the drive speed whichever is lower. I find some folk have trouble using this tip.

2. CD/DVD LENS CLEANING. Still a great idea.

3. Media. When there is trouble and you see the usual no-name 100 pack of media. Try a name brand for a test run.

Bob

- Collapse -
One problem fixed, one left.

Thanks for the tip on burning at half speed. I tried that and it worked. So my remaining problem is when I play a cd or dvd, the sound is choppy, broken, and distorted. But not when I play anything downloaded to my computer. The drivers are updated and everything says it is working properly. Any suggestions for that problem?

- Collapse -
Sorry but that sounds like the old XP DMA issue.

Please and I must be firm about this. I will not write the long version about this. It's a simple thing, sometimes just do it and a reboot and it's fixed.

Do this -> http://winhlp.com/node/10

- Collapse -
It worked!

Thanks so much! Everything is working now.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the update.

Sorry about trying to avoid the long explanations. It's a simple thing that works over half the time given the clues in your posts. Must better to knock it off the list before proceeding to the harder items.

Cheers,
Bob

CNET Forums