General discussion

Hitting the print screen button

by billstott / November 22, 2010 5:28 PM PST

HP Paviliona614n
system pz42A-ABA
serial MXK 426INK7
Windows home addition
High speed USB 2.0 and fireWire ports
I am using a HP desktop with a 21 inch Samsung flat screen monitor.
260 Ghz Intel pentium, 504 DDR SDR Ram.
80 GGHB 7200 RPM Ultra DMA hard drive
CD-RW/DEVCD-Rom combo drive.
Intel Extream Intergrated Graphics
with up to 64 MS
shared video memory

Windows XP home.

When I punch print screen it copies it for future paste.

I wish to be able to copy the whole screen when the page is longer than the screen??? n And then paste to a suitable program.

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hitting the print screen button
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hitting the print screen button
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a nice thing to wish.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 5:33 PM PST

But print screen doesn't work like that. It prints the screen. Not the webpage or the document or the picture or whatever you are looking at.

So in the program you're using you have to find a way to "export" the whole webpage or document or the picture or whatever you are looking at and import that export into a suitable program. But, of course, that depends on the program you are using, but usually it's something like File>Save as or File>Export.

Kees

Collapse -
For a price.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 2:23 AM PST

It is worth mentioning these JPEG PRINTER DRIVERS (see google) where you could PRINT to said driver and get something close to what you asked for.
Bob

Collapse -
If you want...
by PKsteven / November 23, 2010 3:58 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) hitting rint screen buitton , Bill
by billstott / November 23, 2010 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: If you want...
Collapse -
I like rint().
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 6:10 AM PST

Useful at times when we need to round to the nearest integer.

Collapse -
Reply for the record books
by PKsteven / November 23, 2010 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: I like rint().

I don't recall ever laughing so hard at a reply, nor do I reply to it when I do, but that was priceless lol. Happy

Collapse -
by billstott / November 23, 2010 1:19 PM PST

Please ignore the last three messages, got a phone call and I think my grand kids were talking to you.

My system is shown on the first page

I refer to the couple messages. Google print screen?? Also to the PicPick of Firefox.

Do not understand those, but learned to use select all, copy and then in Microsoft works, paste.

This works fine but I am sure if you would elaborate a little, your suggestions are better.

Thanks for bearing with me.
Bill

Collapse -
PicPick
by PKsteven / November 23, 2010 1:49 PM PST

Well, it's hard to describe all of PicPick, which I will not abbreviate for obvious reasons Wink Aside from that here are some main points to using it compared to print screen...

1. It can save pictures in numerous formats, png, gif, bmp, jpeg etc... automatically after hitting the key. No copy and paste needed.

2. You can still set the print button as capture button so it's easy to remember.

3. It's free.

4. It has an option to open in the editor to make changes to the picture or to NOT open with editor and auto save to a folder or wherever you choose.

5. It can auto scroll capture, meaning if the page can be scrolled either up or sideways or down, it will automatically capture the whole thing for you.

6. It has numerous features but is easy to use.

I have been using other capture means for a long time, years, but yes, knowing the print option with Windows is handy in certain situations but hardly necessary for every day use in which case, a capture utility like PicPick is VERY handy to have.

If you do decide to use it and have any problems, I'd be glad to help you with it.

Collapse -
by billstott / November 23, 2010 4:53 PM PST
In reply to: PicPick

Sweet, sweet, sweet and only took a few minutes to learn.

I use Kindle a lot plus read on my computer screen a lot, can you also recommend a good tech to voice reader???

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Do you mean...
by PKsteven / November 23, 2010 5:03 PM PST

text to voice reader?

Collapse -
Do you mean
by billstott / November 24, 2010 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Do you mean...

Yup, Text to voice reader. There are lots of them, but I want one that is as smooth as my kindle, if possible.

Thanks

Collapse -
PicPick
by billstott / November 24, 2010 2:17 PM PST

I lucked out the first time around with PicPick, then chaos, 82 images, I do not know where they come from, had to shut down to remove.

Can you do a one time walk through. Here is what I used to do and how I accomplished it. I pulled up my stock chart, hit print screen, then pulled up Microsoft works, word processor. Then pasted it. Next saved it.Would like to do this with PicPick, then I should be able to learn the rest slowly by trial an error and learn how to use it.

Thanks,
Bill

Collapse -
Um...
by PKsteven / November 24, 2010 6:07 PM PST

82?

My first thought is that you held down the print key too long. Ok, I will try to go through this a bit.

First, when the "print" key is assigned to PicPick, you hit they key once per screen shot. If you hold it down, it can take numerous screen shots at a time, finding numerous pictures in a folder.

Also,the screen shot is automatically saved to a folder of your choice or the default PicPick folder. You don't have to paste anything. BUT, you can capture to clipboard which is temporary storage and then you can paste just like the normal print option but with "more options" like the auto scroll.

Now.. to save a screen shot to a folder, do this...

1. Create a folder somewhere convenient for you, typically I create a folder called "Screenies" or "Screenshots" within my Pictures folder so it's easy to find.

2. First, right click the PicPick icon in the task bar or hidden icons in lower right of task bar.
Click "Program Options" , click Auto Save in the large box that comes up, it will be on the left. Make sure Auto Save check box is checked in main window right above choose directory. In the choose directory to save the capture, browse to the folder you created, highlight it or double click it to choose, click OK.

3.Now, on the left side again, up at the top is the "capture" button, click on that and in the main window,click on main large button, I don't know what default option it will have but click on it and choose, "Save to image file". Click OK. It's done.

Every shot you take by hitting the print screen will save the image to that folder. Again, holding the key down can take NUMEROUS shots.

To save ONLY to clipboard just as you would with normal print screen key, do this... Same steps as above.

1 . Right click the PicPick icon in the task bar or hidden icons in lower right of task bar. Click "Program Options" , click Capture in the large box that comes up, it will be on the left at the top. Click on the large button that says "save to image file" a drop down menu will appear, choose "Copy to Clipboard". Click OK.

From there on, you will be able to hit the print screen to clipboard instead and paste as usual. The icing? You can still auto scroll to clipboard and then paste.

I hope this helps some. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy and convenient to use. I like the SHIFT+Print to take a screen shot of a specific self measured area. I may create a tutorial on PicPick and blog it. Perhaps while everyone is passed out from too much Turkey, I will attempt it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.