Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

HItman Pro crashed Windows 7 starter -- Recovery help!

Dec 12, 2010 12:51AM PST

I had a problem with google search redirects so I downloaded some spyware programs to try and clean them off. The first couple didn't work properly, so I loaded HitMan Pro. It seemed to pickup several malware and virus that the other programs didn't pick up, but upon reboot of my system. It would no longer load properly. I've done attempted several system restores and recoveries but nothing seems to work.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Computer: Dell Inspiron Mini 1012

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Duplicate post.
Dec 12, 2010 12:53AM PST
- Collapse -
Cross posted.
Dec 12, 2010 12:55AM PST

The problem I've run into is the malware installed itself so that removal crashes the OS. What we usually do is boot some OS from CD (I use Ubuntu) to get the user's files out then use the recovery media to reinstall the OS.

This is usually a lesson about backup and trying to figure out how the malware got onto the machine and how most antivirus are worthless when it comes to this.
Bob