General discussion

Hitachi VM-630E VHS-C camcorder 1985

Hi, i recently found this old camcorder in basement it's from my dad, When i charged battery and turn on camcorder all functions are working except picture in viewfinder. I don't have cassette, is that problem or malfunctioned? The camera is left unused 25 years and when is prepared for storage then it worked.
Best regards!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hitachi VM-630E VHS-C camcorder 1985
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hitachi VM-630E VHS-C camcorder 1985
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My advice is "do not attempt repair."

Just use it as is to play and get your content off the old tapes. I've seen folk that had content try to fix a non-fatal failure like this before they get their tape content out.

- Collapse -
I noticed that helical scan is very dirty.

Ok, i will do that thanks for your advice.
I forget to say, when i look to the viewfinder i only see white color without any picture or text.
Best regards!

- Collapse -
Do not do a deep clean.

I limit what I do on these as a deep clean can push the unit to total failure. I limit my work to canned air (short blasts) and little else.

- Collapse -
I bought tape

Hi, now i have cassette and when i play recorded tape, in viewfinder i see clear, black and white picture and sound is working well.
Camera record only from microphone, picture does not exist only white screen.
In camera lens i see my face on iris.
Best regards.

- Collapse -
Some of these

Have on board play failures. Pop the VHS-C into the VHS adapter and try playing on a VHS deck

- Collapse -
I tried that

Play is working in viewfinder, and in av in and with cassette adapter. Camera working well as play function, the picture is crystal clear. But rec function not working i don't see picture from lens. I think that is problem with video board?

- Collapse -
Given the age of the device

And iffy supply of spare parts my advice is if it plays existing tapes you get the content out then sell it on Ebay. Your average cell phone can do more than this thing.

CNET Forums