Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-5000 won't play DVDs

by max7098 / October 27, 2003 8:18 AM PST

Okay, to make a long story short, I recently had to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows and all that. (Almost) everything has been working perfectly, but this DVD-ROM is driving me crazy. I had rarely ever used my DVD-ROM to play DVDs, but I know that it did. It plays audio discs perfectly and can explore data discs as smoothly as normal. But when it comes to DVDs, it gives me the error that it can't read the drive. I went on the Hitachi website, and they said that the problem wasn't the hardware, but that it was I didn't have a DVD decoder and something about MPEG2. They told me to get InterVideo WinDVD since it came with the DVD decoders, and so I did. Even after two or three restarts, it still wouldn't read my DVDs. Someone else suggested PowerDVD. I got that, and still no luck.

I have Gateway Essential Desktop from 1999-ish, Pentium III processor, Windows 98SE, DirectX 8, and a Hitachi GD-5000 DVD-ROM. If you need any other information, just reply. Thank you for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-5000 won't play DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-5000 won't play DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-5000 won't play DVDs
by HerbChong / October 29, 2003 8:22 AM PST

you have to install the DVD portion of your video drivers first before you install all the other drivers. they should be on your video card's driver CD.

Herb....

Collapse -
by Wellander / November 22, 2004 2:17 PM PST

Hi,
Actulay they will be on the CD that came with the DVD player.

Collapse -
by HerbChong / December 6, 2004 8:35 AM PST

DVD drives don't need drivers. it's up to the video decompression software to set region and decompress the data stream. shop computer shows and you will see bar DVD drives all the time.

Herb...

Collapse -
Re: Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-5000 won't play DVDs
by Emadei / November 21, 2004 8:41 PM PST

Hello Max, I have almost a similar problem and did not solve it yet but on my way.Check this site out and the advice this guys give.Might help...
Greetings

E.

Collapse -
by torchred / December 12, 2004 5:33 AM PST

Please assist me ...

I have a Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-S200 that won't recognize my CD-Rs --- just started after I upgraded to Windows XP

Please respond to kevin_loftus@hotmail.com

-- very much appreciated

Collapse -
by kalev / December 13, 2004 8:28 AM PST

I have the same problem and figured out a temporary solution....

Since installing windows XP my Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-5000 won't play DVDs, it does play CDRs after reintalling the driver. The windows hardare wizard sent me to one of 4 third party decoders, and I found that the demo version of several of these WILL GET THE DVDR TO WORK WITH WINDOWS XP, but the demos expire and the full versions are over $50.

I'm considering just buying a new DVD player (maybe a recorder) rather than dropping this much money to use an older DVD player.

There must be some free solution- let me know if anyone figures it out???

Collapse -
answer being tested....u try it 2?
by islandgirl / January 27, 2005 7:58 AM PST

Found elsewhere on the net, an indication that this is a somewhat common problem with the Hitachi DVDs on UPGRADE to XP, and the driver(s) and CODECS not being detected properly.

-Power off and unplug.
-Unplug DEVICE comletely (power cable, IDE cable).
-Power up and boot up, run Device Manager and check that drive/driver is completely gone; if not, 'remove' via Device Manager.
-Shut down, power off again, re-plug the DEVICE (power cable, IDE cable...and just to be safe, check the jumper settings for Master/Slave/CSEL and ensure they are correct for the placement on the IDE cable/port.
-Power up, boot. XP should autodetect everything needed as new and install the correct drivers and codecs...

Give it a shot.

Collapse -
fix for GD 5000
by pjoh72358 / March 9, 2005 3:59 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.