Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

History deos not get Cleared

I try to delete/clear the history from time to time by doing Tools --> Options --> delete files(check delete all offline content) and then Clear history.

Even after doing all the above some web site names are not cleared. Not sure why? Does it mean any spyware running? Please suggest.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: History deos not get Cleared
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: History deos not get Cleared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
History deos not get Cleared

In reply to: History deos not get Cleared

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Whats your OS?

It sounds like you have IE,click HERE

Do you also clear cookies and temp files?

If you are comfortable with the registry,you can try this.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
TypedURLs

Have you ran any spyware programs?

Collapse -
Re: History does not clear..

If you say you've cleared the history via Tools>Internet Options>Clear History. Try going to the Content tab. Then Auto Complete. Uncheck ''web addresses''. You can also try the ''General'' tab and see if it's set to ''0''. This way it should not save any of the the addresses.

The only other thing I can think of is the ''Advanced Tab''. Try unchecking ''Close unused folders in history and favorites''. The same with ''Use inline Auto Complete''.

It's worth a try. I doubt very much this is a security problem.

Hope this helps..
Carol

Collapse -
Thanks for the Solution

In reply to: Re: History does not clear..

Thanks Carol and others for your posts. I was able to solve the issue by following the Carol's post.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're quite welcome, lpreddy

In reply to: Thanks for the Solution

Collapse -
Installing & Running CCleaner is Worth a Try! If That ....

doesn't get it then perhaps a Check Disk/Error Repair may restore functionality.
Get CCleaner (Freeware). It's not an AV but an extensive temp/cache/application cleaner.
Download (& print out for reference) the Help file (descriptions of items to be cleaned), then download, save & install either the "Slim"(suggested) or "Basic"(if you need additional language files) version.These versions are 100% adware/spyware free.
Additionally, add the download page below to your IE Favorites or Bookmarks list and use it to check for updates about once per month.
In "Options", click on "Settings" and uncheck:
"automatically check for updates" to prevent getting an undesirable (adware toolbar) version from built in updater link.
I run CCleaner immediately before & after each net visit as it only takes under 5 seconds to clean.I also have it set to auto-run at boot up.
Help file to print out:
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/fileclean.asp

Download Free Program Link:
http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp

If you were infected then the following would apply, but since we don't know how old these listing are I would also do the following for the first pass:
BEFORE doing first cleaning, you will need to click on "Options" Button>then click "Advanced" & remove the check mark in box in front of: "Only delete files in Windows temp folders older than 48 hours".You need to empty ALL to be sure of removing infection (or ALL).
After finishing 1st removal (may take some time as often 1st cleaning takes out HUGE amounts),
You should re-open CCleaner and go in and re-check mark that same box for normal cleaning. Good safety feature for normal use.
It's a great program to always use.
If this doesn't remove what you wish, post back for a link to instructions on ChkDsk. Hope this helps! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.