PC Hardware forum

General discussion

himem system missing- reinstalled- uh oh

by Lisa / July 15, 2005 1:33 PM PDT

my comp went crazy- i got a himem system missing-and himim sys has detected unreliable XMS memory at address 01671A28 XMS driver not installed- so i reinstalled windows 98se- all seems fine- went to system properties and theres a yellow thingy next to primary IDE controller (dual fifo) under the hard disk controllers- i had to reboot and each time i get a change boot sector or no- i hit no because thats the only way it will boot- how do i fix teh primary IDE controller? i hit the reinstall driver but cant figure out where to get the driver- im so lost... win 98se-

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: himem system missing- reinstalled- uh oh
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: himem system missing- reinstalled- uh oh
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First go to
by TONI H / July 15, 2005 7:10 PM PDT

Start-RUN and type MSCONFIG. Now look at the autoexec.bat and config.sys tabs and uncheck the boxes that show himem.sys and XMS memory....close MSCONFIG, but don't reboot yet when prompted to do so.

Now go to Device Manager, and right click the Parent IDE controller (the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers are considered to be 'child' devices), choose Properties, and then choose REMOVE.

Once that is done, you can reboot the computer to see if Windows now corrects the problem.

Collapse -
STOP NOW or lose your files!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 10:32 PM PDT

"himim sys has detected unreliable XMS memory at address 01671A28 XMS driver not installed-"

Read that again and again and understand what you just found out. The computer's RAM has a failure and what I read next is that someone "worked around it" then ran DEFRAG. All their files get corrupted and then the real nightmare begins.

STOP USING THE MACHINE UNTIL.... You can run MEMTEST86 and past it with ZERO ERRORS for a day.

Collapse -
lost it all anyways
by Lisa / July 17, 2005 12:17 PM PDT

i had to go into safe mode to get everything i needed on floppys..it would only boot to safe mode. i knew it was going to go.. it went. switched the memory strips-and put them back in- i know i have to replace them as a precaution, put in a new modem-cleaned out the tower and had to fdisk and reinstall everything- still instaling programs...lucky me... i also cleaned the cooling fans but decided im going to replace them now... so far so good- i think...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?