Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hijacked Browser - WinXp/IE

by JDAN12 / October 31, 2004 8:32 AM PST

I am almost certain my browser was hijacked. Our ISP is Time Warner RoadRunner and when I go to open IE the RoadRunner of Central NY usually comes up.
Now we have a "search type screen" which I cannot get rid of.
If I go to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS then type in the RR address everything opens the way we are accustomed to.
As soon as we log off or shut down and then try to open IE we get the same type of search page.
The address bar reads- about:blank
Also we are unable to change our text size now, not sure if this is related.
When I contacted the techs at RoadRunner it was recommended that I download Spyware from MS. I did download Spybot and ran it to no avail.
I will appreciate any help that is given to me.
Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hijacked Browser - WinXp/IE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hijacked Browser - WinXp/IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hijacked Browser - WinXp/IE
by David Chan / October 31, 2004 8:37 AM PST

Try Ad-AwareSE & CWShredder as these two will often get rid of Browser Hi-Jackers.

Also run an online Virus scan with Housecall.
You probably have a StartPage Trojan that needs to be removed.

Use Google to locate the download sites for the above mentioned programs.

Collapse -
Re: Hijacked Browser - WinXp/IE
by JDAN12 / November 1, 2004 5:11 AM PST

Thank you, I will give this a try.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!