General discussion

Hijacked

afantispy.com has hijacked my computer, how can I get it off without paying the $49.95 fee?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Hijacked
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hijacked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hijacked

Hi,

Im not too sure on the symptoms your computer is facing. In what way has it hijacked your computer, and what is the nature of it? Can you access your system setting and files, or does it only just effect the internet?

Here are your options (loose due to the fact I don't know what you mean by hijacked)

First, you should backup all your data if you can, on a CD or external HDD. Make sure you search every folder important data may be. take a list of all the programs and/or games you have. Backup any saved games you have by saving the folder of the game in your program files section.

Once you have backed up, you can try and system restore your computer to an earlier date. That will be under Start>accessories>system tools>system restore.

Try restoring your computer to an earlier date, before this issue occurred.

However if that does not work, you can try attaining a copy of an anti virus software, and scan your computer.

If that fails then you might have to take you PC into a shop and they will have to format your HDD and reinstall windows.

There are other numerous ways to help remove malware, however you must be an expierienced user,

Thanks

- Collapse -
Hijacked

I have McAfee AntiVirus on the computer, it registered a unwanted program loading however could not remove it. If I try to open a program or file I get a warning message that the computer is infected and am sent to afantispy.com web site where they want 50 bucks to load their software. The only way I can access any programs is at start up before everything loads. I had McAfee scan the computer this way but it came back with nothing.
thanks

- Collapse -
Try Malwarebytes

Go to another computer that is not infected. Download Malwarebytes and burn to disc or thumb drive.
Start the infected computer in "safe mode" and run the Malwarebytes in that mode.
Run the full scan, that takes about an hour and a half. That usually finds and clears the problem.
That one also has you going through a proxy.
Go into network and find the lan settings and remove the check mark in the proxy box.
I do that before running Malwarebytes.

- Collapse -
If Malwarebytes ...
- Collapse -
thanks

the newest version of Malwarebytes did the trick, thanks to all for the help

CNET Forums

Forum Info