General discussion

Hijack this freezes when I try to scan

Ive been trying to run it. It seems to freeze up before its finished scanning. I tried the older version, also.

At the top of HJT. on the blue strip, it always says "015 - Trusted Zone Enumeration". Looks like thats where it stops. I do not have CoolWWWsearchsmartkiller.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Hijack this freezes when I try to scan
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hijack this freezes when I try to scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi Dragon

There are a couple of possiblities. There are a number of variants of malware that can do this or it could simply be that your version is corrupted for whatever reason. I would download a new copy of it for starters and see what happens. Please post back with whatever happens and we will go from there. This is not my regular forum, I'm usually in V&S but I check this one a few times a day too. You can get it at any of the links.
HijackThis download locations:
http://castlecops.com/zx/Merijn/hijackthis.zip
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip
http://downloads.subratam.org/hijackthis.zip

Current version of HijackThis is 1.99

- Collapse -
Same exact result

I had already tried both versions of HJT, because I thought the newest one might have a bug in the programming. But I tried it again with new downloads, making sure the old one was gone, first.

- Collapse -
Next suggestion Dragon
- Collapse -
Thanks

I didnt think of safe mode. I dont know why, I use it all the time with other programs. Anyway, I had the same result, so Ill try that forum.

I appreciate the link.

- Collapse -
You're welcome Dragon and please let us

know how you made out.

- Collapse -
No progress Roddy

Looks like they may be stumped. Ive bumped the note a few times, so its not like I have allowed it sink into oblivion. I thought about writing a note to the author of the program.

I did google the problem and found one other person with a similar complaint at windowsbbs.com. Unfortunately, I have to jump through hoops to register, such as setting a pop email "which was provided by your ISP" (or something like that). All web-based email is banned.

Anyway, the advice given her was nothing I havent seen already.

- Collapse -
hmmmm You brought the log to

CastleCops? I know they are busy but they should have looked at it by now. Has anybody looked at it at all? Also, if you could give me a link to your post there I MIGHT be able to push things along with them.

- Collapse -
Problem is I cant get the log ;(

Its been freezing before the scan is over. I do see that they are very busy.

But I have just found another site which may fill the bill -- it was a link from the merijn.org site to forums.spywareinfo.com. Ill let you know of any developments.

- Collapse -
OK, I didn't check the rest

of the thread and I had forgotten the original problem, it's been a few days. LOL. I know people at SpywareInfo too so if you get no response there either give me a link to your post at one or the other and I'll see what I can do for you.

- Collapse -
Got a quick answer

That made me slap my forehead. He said he had the same thing happening, and that I just had to wait for it.

It worked. Happy

Simple solution, huh? I was used to it doing the whole scan immediately, so naturally I thought something was wrong when it stopped. Well, OK. Im in business.

Thank you for your support!

- Collapse -
That's great, Your welcome and let me know

how you make out.

CNET Forums

Forum Info