Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Highway Patrol troupers charged with

by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
failure to arrest a drunken man.

He was found in the highway median and couldn't converse in English so the troupers took him to a Taco Bell thinking thinking to find an interpreter there. Rather than arrest him, he was instructed to call someone for a ride home. Apparently he had other ideas and wandered back onto the roadway where he was struck and killed. The troupers are now facing charges of their own.

I don't know how this will play out. His being drunk in the median is considered to be a criminal offense requiring arrest. How would they know for certain that the man was drunk without doing a sobriety test. The man didn't speak English so the troupers wouldn't be able to administer the standard test or maybe not even get him to use a breathalyzer to verify his drunkenness. While thinking an interpreter could be found at a Taco Bell is probably creative, they probably should have just hauled him in. I suspect they meant no harm but looks like it backfired this time.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Highway Patrol troupers charged with
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Highway Patrol troupers charged with
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) no good deed goes unpunished
by James Denison / September 15, 2012 5:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: How would they know for certain that the man was drunk
by JP Bill / September 15, 2012 7:00 AM PDT
How would they know for certain that the man was drunk without doing a sobriety test.

If he smells like alcohol and he acts like he's drunk...he's drunk?

Are you suggesting there could have been a medical problem AND/OR alcohol problems? Perhaps all police cars should have a doctor on board?

They shouldn't have left the drunk unattended.

Civilians/bartenders/waiters have been charged with serving too much alcohol...what's the difference between that and leaving a drunk to go where he pleases (after YOU took him into your control).
Collapse -
How drunk was he?
by JP Bill / September 15, 2012 9:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
How drunk...we don't know
by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2012 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: How drunk was he?

The troupers said he appeared to be drunk but he wasn't tested and, stagger and slur as he may, no law here could have convicted him. So we must think the troupers were doing one of two things. They were either trying to give him a break or were just being lazy. You can decide which of the two or make up your own idea. Obviously, if trying to be nice and cut the guy some slack, their choice turned out bad. Maybe they need training on how to be meaner.

Collapse -
Minor issue, It's "Troopers", Steve, please forgive the corr
by Ziks511 / September 16, 2012 9:35 AM PDT

ection. Otherwise it pertains to Bobby Troup, actor and song writer (Route 66). He's the actor in the movie, M*A*S*H who hits the steering wheel of the jeep he's sitting in at the end of the movie and says "God d@#*ed Army Jeep." He's also in dozens of movies and TV shows.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) You're right. I goofed. I'll goof again later too. (-:
by Steven Haninger / September 16, 2012 6:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
shades of ABBA
by James Denison / September 16, 2012 6:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
The trooper paid the price.
by drpruner / September 17, 2012 1:35 PM PDT

Lt. Anne Ralston, a spokeswoman for the State Highway Patrol, said Carpenter has been placed on administrative duties and is working out of the district headquarters in Columbus. "That means no badge, no gun, no uniform, no ID card, no car," Ralston said. The deputies are on paid leave.
From the Columbus Dispatch.

Here in NM the Santa Fe line runs through the Navajo res, and a common occurrence is suicide-by-train. They get drunk and lie down on the tracks. Engineer hasn't time to stop a mile-long train moving at 25-55 mph depending. The crews are affected but there's no preventing it. I wonder if the vic here had a similar idea.

Collapse -
Suicide by traffic??
by Steven Haninger / September 17, 2012 6:24 PM PDT

I happen to know the area where this happened quite well. It's a suicide intersection for anyone being a last stop for fast food and fuel before one hits the city. I'd rather doubt it was a case of suicide but they left him at a Taco Bell. Some would call that attempted murder.

Collapse -
(NT) LOL!
by drpruner / October 8, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Suicide by traffic??
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.