Cameras forum

General discussion

High speed vs regular speed SD card -

by Gatekeeper23 / January 14, 2009 2:58 AM PST

I am planning on buying a new digital camera soon (Canon sd1100) and was wondering if a high speed SD card would make a difference and was worth spending a little more money compared to a typical SD card. Will I actually be able to tell a difference with this camera or is the high speed memory meant for more advanced cameras? Will this reduce time between pictures? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: High speed vs regular speed SD card -
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: High speed vs regular speed SD card -
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a opinion and a little experience.
by mopscare42 / January 14, 2009 4:36 AM PST

I too wondered about that, so a Extreme IV Sandisk card was on sale for my camera and I bought it.
I really don't see any difference for the kind of shooting I do with my Canon 40D. Such as Weddings, portraits, Family get togethers, Birthdays and things like that.
Maybe the pros that do sports and things where they shot in bursts it may help.
The thing I noticed is get a good card reader for your computer as that will really help.
They are inexpensive and worth it.

Wayne

Collapse -
40 D Canon uses Compact Flash not SD
by gkearnes / January 16, 2009 2:24 PM PST

I differ your point as the regular Compact Flash is slower plus I have another camera that uses SD and the faster SD works better and does not slow you down.

Collapse -
Wayne's Experience
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 6:23 AM PST

Wayne's Experience is what I would expect.

There may be a tiny speedup in shooting while in burst mode or continuous mode. But would it be noticeable ... no, measurable but not noticeable.

A fast card would not provide any other benefit for that camera.

Save your money.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Gatekeeper23 / January 14, 2009 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: Wayne's Experience

Thank you both for your replies. I will just stick with a normal SD card.

Collapse -
High speed vs regular speed SD card
by pharmdoc / January 16, 2009 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you

1st is your camera compatible to an SDHC card. My Canon PowerShot A590IS & Canon FS100(Standard Definition Flash Memory Video) cameras are. I too didn't notice much difference between High Speed & SD card in either camera other than maybe little faster reading time to the PC. Where I did notice a difference was when I changed from an SDHC Class 4 card to a SDHC Class 6 card.In image and video. And as the old saying goes,you get what you pay for. If your not a Professional though, shop around (on line trusted sites) and get what you can afford in a class 6.

Collapse -
SDHC Chip
by clmartin / August 8, 2012 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Actually, the hi-speed chip will improve the camera's write time to the chip noticeably as well as improve photo upload speed to yourt computer. Go with the SDHC chip.

Collapse -
There IS a Difference
by Flatworm / January 16, 2009 10:39 PM PST

First, your Canon SD1100is can CERTAINLY use high-speed SD cards and, more importantly, the HC (High Capacity) cards. My older Canon SD1000 uses them. My old Nikon D50, however, can use the high speed cards but CANNOT use the HC cards.

There is a difference in the amount of time it takes to recover between single shots. There is a much more noticeable difference in the time it takes to upload content to your computer. With the new HC cards going up to 32 GB this can be significant. Go with the good stuff.

Collapse -
Faster is better
by oldman68524 / January 16, 2009 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: There IS a Difference

My daughter plays sports and my wife takes tons on pics. She uses a Nikon P80 with the fast card in it. Speeds up the recovery time between shots.

Collapse -
Make sure your computer reads High Speed
by reli37 / January 17, 2009 12:13 AM PST

I bought a 4GB HDSD card and it works fine on my Treo 680 and in my Laptop (with Vista Home Premium and one year old). However my desktop - a 2-3 year old HP with XP - will not recognize the card if I insert it in the card reader in the PC. It does recognize it when I am syncing my Treo with the card in place. Make sure the card reader you have does recognize High Speed or you may have to get another card reader.

Collapse -
My HP is to old
by Rod2 / January 18, 2009 3:10 PM PST

So I bought a SanDisc MicroMate card reader and a 6" USB cable to plug into the front USB port. Works great but of course a SDHC card does not work in my HP card reader.

Collapse -
Not HDSD but SDHC
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 18, 2009 11:06 PM PST

SD = Secure Digital = and SD card, 2meg or less.
SDHC = Secure Digital High Capacity = any SD card, 4meg to 32meg.

Older card readers can not read SDHC cards.

Collapse -
I found a huge difference
by porkchop_d_clown--2008 / January 20, 2009 1:20 AM PST

I had always bought cheap SD cards, but I was getting frustrated because when I shot in continuous mode, I'd barely get 4-5 pictures before the camera stopped for 10-15 seconds. I bought a Verbatim SDHC "Premium" card and I can now shoot for much longer before the internal buffer fills, and the cycle time is much shorter.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.