General discussion

High School is over for this year,now for the first cultural

event of the summer. Gay Pride day. Robbie, his girlfriend and their friends are accompanying more school friends of the lesbian, gay and transgendered (actually not the latter) sort to the **** March this afternoon.

We took Robbie first when he was about 3. Took him on the rides (conventional ferris-wheel, get your mind out of the gutter) when his architect uncle came up to attend the party here. Toronto is very gay friendly and Brians family (my wife's family) can be a bit of a pain about gay issues, not actually critical but snide, and then defensive and denying that anything was meant by what they said.

My mother in law actually said (she disapproves of our parenting style, only women know how to raise children you see) about Robbie, "Well, Thank god he's normal" at the dinner table with Brian sitting there, and then had the gall to deny that she meant anything by it. I fear I have not been nearly as patient or helpful since.

So, Prom on Friday, Party and a movie on Saturday and Gay Pride Parade on Sunday. He's setting a pretty intense pace so far this summer.

Rob

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: High School is over for this year,now for the first cultural
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: High School is over for this year,now for the first cultural
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It seems to me, the attitude of many gays

in these parades (at least in San Fransisco) is "Im here, Im *****, get used to it. I think thats the wrong approach.

- Collapse -
What the heck is "Gay Pride"?

Shouldn't you be proud of something you've DONE, not what you ARE by sheer accident. This used to always bother me with "Black Pride". What's to be proud about? If one had a "White Pride" parade one would be denounced as racist and divisive and rightly so. Why not the same with "Gay Pride"?

Meaningless PeeCee feel-goodism I calls it. DO something to be proud of and then I'll be impressed.

- Collapse -
Several of us who

attend St. Patrick's Day parades disagree with you.

Dan

- Collapse -
Non-sequitor

How is that meaningful? Most people who attend St. Paddy's Day parades aren't even of Irish heritage.

If anything it proves my point. There is nothing intrinsically great about being "Irish" is there? O persopnally resent it when someone identifies me as "Irish". I am an American.

- Collapse -
Just like the parade

you're objecting to, some of the spectators are of the group celebrating, and most of the participants are.

To answer your question, yes, there is.

Dan

- Collapse -
That is a celebration ...

... of heritage and culture. If gays want to be seen as "normal just like everyone else" who are "born that way" it makes no sense to celebrate the lifestyle let alone with "pride". When's the next heterosexual pride day?

- Collapse -
I know of some who'd like to

but they are banned for the NYC St. Patrick's Day parade.

Why does their celebration make no sense?

Dan

- Collapse -
What is there to celebrate?

I thought this was a private matter anyway. It's absurd.

- Collapse -
Parades are a private

matter? Since when? They go right down public streets. They can celebrate anything they choose.

Dan

- Collapse -
No ...

... sexuality is. Celebrating it with a circus (and look at the pictures of 2004 and 2003 parades I posted in a response to Rob and dare to claim otherwise) is an absurd expression of "pride".

- Collapse -
Sexuality is an absurd

criterion to make many judgments on, but it has been used to justify many mistakes, oppressions, and atrocities over the years. Given the choice between celebrating because of sexual orientation and beating the piss out of someone, throwing rocks at them, and persecuting them because of sexual orientation, the choice is obvious.

Dan

- Collapse -
Give me a break

I don't know anyone that has committed atrocities against gays, although I'm sure there have been a few -- just as atrocities have been committed against innocent children, women, white men, babies, Christians, Jews, heterosexuals, prostitutes, Johns, pimps, drug dealers, Mafia snitches, etc.

Are you even aware, that after all the hype, Mathew Sheppard's death may not have been a gay issue after all?

Why does there need to be a choice here. No need to bash. No need to celebrate either.

- Collapse -
That's right, I forgot.

All gays are welcomed with open arms into every community. There's never a hint of discrimination. All those statistics are fake. All my friend's scars were put there by gifted cosmetic surgeons who were trying to make them look like knife wounds.

Thanks for reminding me, Evie.

Dan Happy

- Collapse -
Please post links to actual statistics

"All my friends scars"

How many is this?

- Collapse -
Well, Evie

I've got two friends who were assaulted because of their sexual orientation. I've got another who was attacked when he intervened in another incident of the same. I'm sorry they don't have links to their scars. I'm sure I would not give you that information even if I could.

http://www.now.org/issues/lgbi/stats.html

http://www.ncavp.org/media/MediaReleaseDetail.aspx?p=1420&d=1492

Feel free to mock my friends and their misfortunes. Disparage and disregard the statistics and their sources. Ignore the entire issue. Feel free to stick your head back in the sand and pretend the whole thing is not happening, Evie.

Dan Happy

- Collapse -
Nobody is mocking anyone

None of my gay friends have ever been attacked. So what does that say? My husband has scars from a bar fight he intervened in on behalf of his geeky friend some ******** decided to pick on for some reason. My brother was beaten up for having his ears stick out (near as we could figure there was no other reason) -- and on more than one occasion. Some members here have over the years related occasions when they have gotten in fights for whatever reason. SO? There is NO reason for any of it. When's the Revenge of the Nerds Pride day?

There's even gay on gay attacks going on. Greg Louganis ring a bell? Every black that is assaulted is not attacked for his race. Every gay that is assaulted is not attacked for his sexuality.

- Collapse -
3 and 4 are excellent choices, Evie.

Well done. Ignore and pretend are very popular these days.

Dan Happy

- Collapse -
Shy does it have to be one or the other?

Makes no sense. Sorry.

- Collapse -
Your initial objection

makes no sense. It's a parade. What's the bid deal? Floats and stuff.

Dan

- Collapse -
All Ed asked in the first place ...

... was what's the big deal to celebrate? When I see this, the terms gay and pride don't seem to fit. Maybe with your enlightenment you can explain.

- Collapse -
You object to the

VW Beetle with the Ikea boxes?

Why?

Dan

- Collapse -
Maybe we can make Mondays ...

... Blonde Pride Day Devil

I've never understood this nonsense either, and can't for the life of me understand why a parent takes a three year old to such events. And, frankly, such events only serve to further enforce negative stereotypes about gays anyway as it is usually the more activist that participate.

It's also quite a bit different than cultural parades that celebrate heritage and customs. NYC has a wonderful cultural parade day where several blocks are cordoned off with street vendors, etc. for a broad spectrum of nationalities with parades representing everyone from the more recognizable Italians to the most obscure "stan".

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wouldn't Feb 30th be better?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You are EVIL!
- Collapse -
I think that the idea of Gay Pride is in opposition to

Gay Shame which is what most of them were taught, just as Black Pride is in opposition to Black Inferiority which is what most of Them were taught.

There is an element at any celebration of this sort who DO in fact assert a kind of "We're here, we're *****, get used to it" identity, which is in my view an extreme defensive version of the same thing.

How about Mardi Gras which is a non-denominational non-racial non-ethnic busting loose from repression? The police here who have been very unhelpful not to say obstructive in the past have come around because so far this is the one celebration every year where nothing unpleasant happens. Caribana, a black and Caribbean festival here has had a murder a year for the last number of years. Even Hockey and Football celebrations seem to involve hooliganism and vandalism.

General boost to the economy is measured at about $15 million each year. Lots of Americans come up because they find Gay Pride in Toronto to be more celebratory and less rowdy/confrontational, or so they say in the papers.

Rob

- Collapse -
What claptrap

You can rationalize anything.

- Collapse -
Since gay people have been a productive, if non-reproductive

members of society since time began, why all the fuss? There is at least the historical record of poets, artists, musicians and composers and actors to go by, and there is also anecdotal biographical evidence of gays in most other areas of life. That is neither rationalization nor clap trap.

There was an obit in the (London) Times Magazine for Bunny Roger, a terribly upper crust screaming queen who was a designer and co-founder of Hardie Amies the suit maker. Apparently he led his Company of soldiers in North Africa in a chiffon scarf and waving a copy of Vogue, or so people liked to say. There is also the case of the brother of Frederick Lindemann (Churchill's science adviser) who was something ultra secret in the wartime Secret Service and was equally florid in his lifestyle. Granted Britain had a history of tolerance of at least upper class gay behavior, and didn't have the luxury of refusing anyone who wanted to serve since their backs were to the wall. Also Squadron Leader Ian "Widge" Gleed who fought in the Battle of Britain and was later killed in the desert campaign. And those are just the ones that have been talked about publicly.

Rob

- Collapse -
Do individuals who achieve greatness...

do so because of their sexual orientation? That is an almost Hitlerian proposition.

My point is that there is nothing in being gay per se to be proud about, or ashamed of either. "Gay Pride", "Black Pride", "Irish Prode" etc. are intellectually vapid concepts. Very feelgood and PeeCee but essentially meaninsgless. That's all.

- Collapse -
Reminds me of the SNL skit

I miss Phil Hartman.

- Collapse -
Taking a small child ...

... to this parade has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I seem to recall your brother in law or someone is gay. Surely little Robbie was introduced to his uncle early on and developed an understanding of homosexuality within that context.

Looks more like a circus to me, Wonderful family entertainment. LOL.

CNET Forums

Forum Info