General discussion

high res upgrade for macbook pro

i have a gift card for best buy and plan in getting a new i7 macbook pro. best buy doesnot carry high res or anti glare upgrades. how important is the high res upgrade? i could order it from apple but then not be able to use gift card. what is going on with other laptop makers are they going to high res? is high res going to be the new standard like hdtv or is it like the antiglare choice?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: high res upgrade for macbook pro
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: high res upgrade for macbook pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Depends on you

It depends on you. I absolutely LOVE the 1920x1200 display on my Dell Studio 17 laptop, and always find the barely over 720p resolution of my 13" MBP to be a bit limiting. Granted they have very different uses for me, but I love a big beautiful high resolution display. But others are perfectly fine with a 13" MBP, and don't really care about resolution. So, it's really a pretty subjective thing.

You are really the only one who can answer whether or not this is important to you. So I would go to an Apple Store if you have one nearby, and see if they have any high res units on display. Then you can play with that a little and compare it to what you see at Best Buy.

One tip I will give you, is NOT to buy any Best Buy Geek Squad service plan or extended warranty. I would recommend Apple's AppleCare, especially on a 17" MBP. Best Buy's plans are going to be worth more as emergency toilet paper than anything else. That's just a general rule, regardless of store. Only deal with manufacturer warranties, skip store performance contracts or whatever stupid euphemism they come up with to try and disguise the fact that you're paying them for nothing. Get them to give you a copy of the terms and conditions, and then read how basically it's at their whim whether they replace, repair, or tell you to get lost.

- Collapse -
I though that all the MacBook Pro models

were high res and HD

P

- Collapse -
well

well are they all high res hd? well? check out the macrumors community they would make you think that you are dumb not to upgrade to high res

- Collapse -
I see the problem,

Personal choice is what it is going to come down to.

P

- Collapse -
I have a 17" MacBook Pro

with anti-glare and high resolution.

It is DEFINITELY worth the extra if you plan to record/watch TV on it or play DVD's.

I watch a lot of sport and the picture is GREAT!!

- Collapse -
All 17" Macbook Pros come with Hi-Res screens

Your only dilemma is do you want shiny or anti-glare screen. Or did you mean a 15" Macbook Pro which comes with the option to upgrade to Hi-Res?

CNET Forums