Computer Help forum

General discussion

High PF Usage

by eefahman / February 17, 2005 7:27 PM PST

I dunno if i'm posting this in the right place but here goes:

OK, Heres the problem, since about a month ago i have been having probs with my PC, i dont know wether its normal & i just haven't noticed it before now, but my PF usage is through the roof. this happens on a clean install with nothing much running, with & without SP2 & lots of other diff ways & configurations i have tried.
The PF usage still stays very high, around the 400-500MB mark.

Heres a couple o' screenies

http://img150.exs.cx/img150/4459/processes5jk.jpg

http://img150.exs.cx/img150/2014/performance1fu.jpg

ive run virus & Spyware scans and found nothing. Like i said this happens on a clean install with just my basics running, XP, Zonealarm, Adaware.

I have 512MB of PC2100 DDR RAM

Please any help or comments would be greatly appriceiated as i'm at my wits end

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: High PF Usage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: High PF Usage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
High PF Usage
by eefahman / February 17, 2005 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: High PF Usage

Paging File, Virtual Memory

Collapse -
Your Task Manager does not show...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2005 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: High PF Usage

excessive memory usage. Matter of fact, overall I see no problem.

It does indicate a possible "leaky Application" depending on whether or not Physical Memory steadily drops without rebounding as programs are opened and closed.

Your screen seems to indicate multiple users and if so their own usage gets offloaded to the page file to keep actual physical memory available to current applications.

Your total and peak usage indicate that your page file is more than adequate and your available physical memory indicates that the system is not running short on RAM.

Your processes does indicate that one of the services controlled by Svchost.exe may be a bit excessive and might well be contributing to paging if the service is not actually getting use. This link will tell you how to discover what services or service groups are being controlled - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

You can run System Monitor and use the appropriate object counters to better ascertain what is going on within the page file. This link will guide you through the use of the System Monitor - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305610&sd=tech For disk paging the counters to use are:
Memory/Pages/sec
Process (all processes)\Working set
Memory\Pages Input/sec
and Memory\Pages Output/sec
(those confirm hard page faulting)
Comparing reads and read bytes with the following counters will show any impact of page faulting:
Memory\Page Reads/sec
PhysicalDisk\Disk Reads/sec
PhysicalDisk\Avg disk reads/sec

You have to monitor over a period of time and won't get instantaneous gratification.

An additional helpful hint - if you are letting the system manage your paging file your "concern" could be caused by page file fragmentation. Setting its maximum and minimum size both to the same value will eliminate fragmentation and provide a non-discernable but real "speed improvement".

PS - You can get a faster general idea of what is going on in your system's memory if you Select the Processes tab then click on the VIEW menu and then Select Columns and select ALL (won't see all as some will not show if others are showing).

PPS - You started out with "OK, Heres the problem, since about a month ago i have been having probs with my PC" but never got around to actually mentioning any actual PROBLEM you have been having. All you got around to mentioning was an observation you had. Want to actually mention the PROBLEMS you referred to? We really would like to help.

Collapse -
sorry about the lack of info
by eefahman / February 18, 2005 3:10 AM PST

i thought the PF usage being so high was a problem with my sys, as a few other peeps i know dont have their PF ever go that high

the weird thing is, iv'e installed SP2 now and its back down around the 150mb mark when my sys is idle, but could that be due to the fact i set my max & min PF settings to the same?

i dont have multiple users, but i do have a seperate partition on my only HDD with folders for me and my wife in there (just where we put our stuff, like apps, music, books etc etc.)

i may have not been precise in the info i gave, but that sure is the best help ive had over the matter.

im reading the links and will go over it all.

THANX VERY MUCH SIR HappyHappy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?